Wingate & Finchley U18 2  Northwood U18 2

Thursday 4th December 2014


NORTHWOOD UNDER 18 Ryman Youth League
West Division
Team line-up


1 Kamal Foster
2 Michael Norris
3 Michael Maher
4 Zach Lowenthal
5 Michael Cooper
6 Conor Hynes
7 Kyle O'Connor
8 Jamie Doolan
9 Davantay Hastings
10 De Andre Johnson  
11 Denholm Walton  
12 Leon Opok  
14 Abdi Ahmed  
15 Shaquille Cope-McLean  

A cold damp evening over in Finchley did not start well as only half the team were in the ground at 7.00pm due to the Finchley traffic was gridlocked. This affected the first 15 minutes of the game, as Northwood struggled to maintain possession, but they tucked in and made it difficult for Wingate to break them down.

Around the 20 minute mark Northwood sparked into life and after a lovely one-two between Jamie Doolan and Davantay Hastings, the former was clean through but only managed to hit the side-netting. Minutes later Denholm Walton was sent through by the impressive Kyle O’Connor, but his fierce shot was well saved by the Wingate keeper. The resulting corner from Kyle O’Connor found De Andre Johnson, but only again his header was well saved.

Northwood took the lead when Conor Hynes struck a perfect long ball through the Wingate defence,  the pace of De Andre Johnson took him clear, he rounded the keeper and it 1-0 to the Woods. Jamie Doolan netted a second within two minutes, only for Davantay Hastings to be ruled offside, which appeared to be a harsh decision. Davantay and De Andre were constant dangers up front and both went very close to making it 2-0 on a number of occasions. A through ball found  the pace of Johnson, only for him to pulled back resulting in a yellow for the W&F number 4, and Jamie Doolan just clipped the bar with the resulting free kick.

Kamal Foster made a string of good saves in the latter part of the first half as W&F pressed for an equaliser. But just before half-time, Northwood lost possession with a poor pass, and were punished when the resulting cross was well struck at the near post to make it 1-1. The second half started much the same as the first ,with the home side holding good possession, although Johnson and Hastings were still a constant threat up front for Northwood; each time Woods got possession they looked to feed the front two, who were magnificent on the night. A through ball from O’Connor found the equally impressive Johnson, only again for W&F number 4 to pull Johnson back; the result was a second yellow and Wingate down to ten.
Northwood went close on a number of occasions but good keeping prevented them from taking the lead again. The game became slightly niggly on 60 minutes as the Wingate card count continued to increase; every time a free-kick was awarded it resulted in several confrontations and the referee had his work cut out to control these situations.

But Wingate took the lead against the run of play, with a good strike after a free kick just outside the Northwood box. The Woods once again besieged the W&F box, and it was again the Hastings / Johnson partnership that paid off – some great interplay saw Hastings net with a great finish from just outside the box. Northwood created the better chances in the closing stages, and but for more clinical finishing would have gone home with all three points. The match finished on a sour note when a further confrontation saw another two players sent off, one from each side for offences resulting in second yellow cards.