Hayes & Yeading Under 18s 4  Northwood Under 18s 1

Monday 22nd April 2013


NORTHWOOD UNDER 18s Ryman Youth League
West Division
At Brook House
Team line-up


1 Luke Humphries
2 George Davey
3 Issac Alawode
4 Dennis Nortey
5 David Palmer
6 Jack Sutch
7 Darius Murray
8 Luke Cox
9 Michael Elderfield (57m)
10 Lewis Davis  
11 Adam Wils (57m)  
12 Tom Ellis  
14 -  
15 Aaron Garrick (57m)  
16 Jamie McKay (57m)  
17 -  

Northwood’s under 18s ended their Ryman Youth League season with a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Hayes & Yeading AFC Hayes on Monday evening. In an even start to the game, it was home keeper Melvin Minter who was first in the action as he quickly dived at the feet of Darius Murray in just the second minute.

Hayes top scorer Riquel Samuel went close minutes later but his bobbly effort from the edge of the box went inches wide of the far post. Still inside the opening ten minutes, a drive from distance by Woods’ Lewis Davis forced another save from Minter, with left-back Andrew Dean clearing up. United then started to impose themselves on the game, Harry Tew-Robinson snatching the ball on the right and firing low across the six yard box but just out of the reach of the incoming David Manu, Tew-Robinson himself then rose to meet a Ross Seldon corner only for his header to clear the crossbar.

Two minutes later Tew-Robinson went even closer when after good work from Marvel Ekpiteta on the right, the striker took control and hit a 20 yard shot that went off the top of the crossbar. Seconds later Northwood almost took the lead when a hopeful free-kick was pumped into the area and Minter was almost caught out by the bounce, the Hayes keeper while back-peddling managing to push the ball into the air and Murray headed over from close range.
United’s best chance of the half came on the half hour mark when Elliott Legg blocked a clearance on the edge of the Woods area, the ball running to Tew-Robinson, who delayed his shot and Luke Humphries made the save in the Northwood goal.

The second half took ten minutes to liven up and in the 56th minute the deadlock was finally broken, Tew-Robinson was upended in the area, leaving referee Mr Andrews with no option but to point to the spot; Samuel stepped up and comfortably bagged his 10th of the season by sending Humphries the wrong way. But the visitors almost levelled straight from the re-start as the ball was played forwards to substitute Jamie McKay, his first touch of the game bringing the ball under control and the second forcing a save from Minter.

Jack Sutch then headed a corner wide for the visitors before Tew-Robinson and Samuel exchanged passes into the Woods area, Tew-Robinson taking the ball on and confidently planting a shot across Humphries into the far corner. But within a minute, though, the Woods had reduced the arrears when McKay took advantage of defensive hesitancy to snatch a bouncing ball and fire past Minter, who got his fingertips to the ball but could not get it around the post.

United soon went close again as Tew-Robinson picked out the run of Legg who saw his effort blocked wide by Humphries outstretched leg. The resultant Seldon corner was only cleared back to the United man, who fired a deep cross that skipper Prosper Ezewuzie headed over. Ezewuzie was not to be denied a goal, though, as he slid home a cross in the 78th minute to restore Hayes’ two goal advantage. It was only a three minute wait for number four as Seldon’s excellent crossfield pass picked out Legg, who brought the ball under control, rounded Humphries and strode into the net with the ball.

A minute later Legg thought he had another as he tapped home only to be denied by a raised offside flag, and then in stoppage time Samuel would have had a second but for an excellent tip over by Humphries from the United man’s dipping volley.

A disappointing end to a disappointing season for Northwood, but next time around they will be a year old, and with greater experience they should continue to improve under the guidance of Dave Fox and Richard Elderfield.

REPORT by Kevin Watts