Bill Fishenden
Nicky Pearce 2
Luke Lynam 3
Terry Hogan 4
Anthony Ladyman 5
Stuart Onslow 6
Daniel Brown 7
Ryan Duffy 8
David Sexton 9
Ben Trout 10
Jack Bennett 11
Chris White (11) 12
Toby Bryan (8) 14
Feye Obileye (7) 15








The Allieds team moved in to the last eight stage of the League Cup with a little to spare.  Not a vintage performance from the lads but they did have to contend with a difficult pitch and the need to adapt their game to cope with a team playing very directly. Wealdstone were on the crest of a wave, going in to the match, having secured two excellent victories in the last week against first Oxford City and then Farnborough Town.  There was certainly no complacency in the Northwood ranks going in to this match.

The boys started confidently, obviously buoyed by their good performance on Monday night. Ryan Duffy started where he left off against Greenford and after jinking down the right wing sent in a quality cross to the back post. Jack Bennett met the ball with a sweet side foot volley and the ball crashed against the bar. 

The next fifteen minutes saw Northwood probing at the Stones defence without quite finding the final pass. On 25 minutes Stuart Onslow let fly with one of his long range specials which the keeper did exceptionally well to hold. 

It was therefore surprising when Woods fell behind, following a little period of Wealdstone pressure, which ended in a corner for the home team. From this corner the ball broke to the edge of the box and was sent back in with interest.  A quality finish in to Fishenden’s left hand corner. Although from the Northwood perspective the marking on the edge of the box was not up to scratch.

Woods steadied themselves and then regained parity, on 22 minutes, following another Wealdstone corner. This time the ball was very effectively cleared by Terry Hogan. The last man in the Stones defence did not similarly clear his lines when the ball reached him. Ben Trout nipped in, moved forward and went round the keeper. Although his first effort was blocked on the line Trout stayed cool and slotted the rebound in to the corner of the net.

Young Woods then asserted themselves and two minutes later another 25 yard effort from Stuart Onslow flashed past the post. This effort was eclipsed 3 minutes later when a lovely passing move between David Sexton and Ryan Duffy ended with the latter finding Daniel Brown free 20 yards out. In an instant Brown controlled the ball and carved a left footed beauty in to the top right hand corner. Unstoppable…a goal to decorate any match!

Woods dominated the rest of the first half and were unlucky not to add to their lead on 40 minutes when a short corner between Jack Brown and Daniel Brown produced a cross which Ryan Duffy hammered left footed towards the goal, but a wonderful reaction save from the Stones keeper pushed the ball on to the bar.

Half time and a comfortable 2-1 lead. The management had little to stay at the break, but the one change we did make was to ask the wide midfield players to get wider early, thereby freeing up more space in the channels for the strikers to exploit.

In truth the second half wasn’t fantastic with Northwood playing well within themselves and the defence looking incredibly secure. Terry Hogan superbly organised the back four and Anthony Ladyman is fast developing in to an excellent centre back. Nicky Pearce grew as the game went on and comfortably shackled the lively Pat Lawrence when he came on for Stones. Bill Fishenden looked unbeatable in goal and frequently acted as a sweeper because of his astute starting position.  

After a scrappy opening to the second half, Woods produced a moment of quality on 55 minutes. Jack Bennett lobbed a measured pass to Dave Sexton, just inside the box.  Sexton steadied himself and coolly lobbed the keeper.

Chris White came on for Bennett on 61 minutes and four minutes later played a clever free kick with Daniel Brown that released Ryan Duffy in the box, but he hit a firm shot just over the bar. 

Northwood started to take their foot off the gas at this point and got a scare on 70 minutes when Fishenden made an excellent close range save to deny Stones.

Feye Obileye replaced the tiring Brown on 75 minutes and at the same time Toby Bryan came on for Duffy. The latter was involved in a wonderful move in the last minute of the match. Onslow released Trout on the edge of the box, who in turn got away from his marker. Trout slipped in Bryan, who had made a clever run outside the full back. A firm drive across the goal was met by the on rushing Chris White, but somehow Stones managed to scramble it off the line.

So, a comfortable win for the Allieds who meet the same opposition in a league match this coming Monday. Man of the match was definitely Terry Hogan but Bill Fishenden also looked a class act in goal.