Bill Fishenden
Ryan Duffy 2
Luke Lynam 3
David Sexton 4
Anthony Ladyman 5
Stuart Onslow 6
Daniel Brown 7
Feye Obileye 8
Mikkel Thomas 9
Ben Trout 10
Jack Bennett 11
Toby Bryan (8) 12
- 14
- 15
- 16
- 17








This was a fantastic battling performance by the young Woods and in truth they should probably have won the game, which was always going to be tough as North Greenford are on a superb run and last week thrashed Staines Town 6-2 in the Middlesex Cup Final.

Woods started well and moved the ball around neatly in the midfield. In the second minute a superbly flighted cross picked out Ben Trout in the box and his subtle header drifted just wide. This seemed to wake up North Greenford, and from their first real attack Lawrie Walters found himself free in the box but his measured finish hit the post and bounced out to safety.

Northwood probably edged the rest of the first half and fine efforts by Mickele Thomas and Daniel Brown, on 22 and 27 minutes respectively, almost gave Northwood the lead. Then in the 31st minute a wonderful cross from Jack Bennett was met by Thomas, whose firm header was neatly saved by the Greenford keeper. Five minutes from half time and the lively Thomas clipped in a great cross from the right hand side. Trout wriggled clear but his left foot shot was blocked by a last-ditch tackle.

Half time was reached with no goals scored. The Northwood management team urged the boys to move the ball a little quicker and in particular release Trout and Thomas as early as possible. A bit more Man United and a little less Arsenal was  required.

The eleven that started were assisted by the arrival at the ground, of substitute Toby Bryan ten minutes in to the second half, and in the end this probably proved crucial. 

The early part of the second half was nip and tuck, but Woods fell behind on 56 minutes following a disastrous loss of concentration. The clever Michael Murray found himself in space on the right flank, got in behind Woods’ defence too easily and squared for Lawrie Walters to tap in. 

At this stage there was a danger that the stuffing would be knocked out of the team, particularly as captain and inspiration David Sexton was already struggling with a tight hamstring.  In addition Stuart Onslow, the inspiration at Hayes in the previous game, was looking jaded having been ill in bed all day before the match. 

However, these young lads are a great credit to themselves and after steadying themselves for the next fifteen minutes the boys then went on the offensive. Daniel Brown started to pull the strings in midfield and on several occasions Thomas and Trout were inches away from getting clear of the Greenford defence. Fresh legs were introduced on 65 minutes, when Toby Bryan replaced Feye Obileye. Jack Bennett  swapped wings with Bryan, the latter adding much needed energy and pace on the right hand side.

Slowly but surely Northwood started putting a series of attacks together. On 75 minutes one such attack led to a free kick awarded just outside the box, and Jack Bennett was inches wide with a swerving shot.  Finally the breakthrough came on 80 minutes. A delightful pass forward from Onslow found Trout, whose instant control and neat footwork quickly took him clear of the defence. Trout tried to dink the ball over the advancing keeper, who managed get something on the ball. The ball broke to the right and Trout seized upon it and slipped it in from a tight angle. Parity at last and a well deserved 1-1. 

The last ten minutes belonged to Northwood, who had three reasonable chances to seal the win: Bryan, Onslow, and the brilliant Duffy going agonisingly close. However, Greenford always looked dangerous on the break and the defence of Ladyman, Sexton, Lynam, and Duffy showed great discipline and concentration when needed.

The lads did Northwood proud against one of the best teams in the league. There is no let up with a cup match now following this Wednesday, away to Wealdstone. The management team can do no more than heartily praise the boys and then pray for a clean bill of health on Wednesday. The lads certainly need a break.

Ryan Duffy was clearly man of the match for a towering performance in defence but everyone else had a great game. The pick of the rest were probably Mickele Thomas and Daniel Brown.