Northwood 2  Wembley 0

Tuesday 9th November 2021


1 Daniel Purdue ©    
2 Lewis Batten    
3 Giovanni Palmer (46m)    
4 Matt Surmon (62m)    
5 Ryan Avery    
6 Gradi Milenge (46m)    
7 Sam Jenkins    
8 Joakim Ehui    
9 Ismael Ehui    
10 Tecane Shrowder    
11 Lindell Stewart    
12 Declan Nche (46m)    
14 Aaron Petch (62m)    
15 Matteo Esposito (46m)    
16 -    
17 Montel Joseph    

Wembley: Przaemyslaw Meirzwa, Calvin Osborne, Juachim Ejimfor, Ethan Tyrer, Ned Jones, Rowan Larrington, Alfie Bates (Jahara Kenbally 65m), Samuel Adetiba, Qasim Khan (Jermaine Heron 70m), Yassine Fermi-Gill, Jonathan Iley


Northwood progressed to the quarter finals of the senior county competition with a comfortable win over Combined Counties outfit Wembley.

Following the weekend departure of manager Ben Murray, Woods took to the field under the charge of coaches Richard Elderfield and George Lavender. There was a debut for attacker Lindell Stewart following his signing on a dual registration from Windsor while Under 18s skipper Lewis Batten was given his first start at right-back with Pablo Velasco suspended. Chesham loanee Sam Jenkins came in for his first start since returning to the club while Matt Surmon was given the holding midfielder’s role.
The contest was slow to ignite with both sides being restricted to long range efforts and free kicks in the opening half hour which failed to trouble either goalkeeper.

But Wembley were the first to seriously threaten as Jonathan Iley saw his shot deflected behind for a corner.

Woods began to find their feet and the lively Stewart made a strong run and cross which forced a corner from which the hosts opened the scoring on 38 mins - Surmon’s header leading to a six-yard box scramble with an attempted clearance rebounding off Ryan Avery and into the Wembley net.

However, the visitors went close to equalising on the stroke of half-time as Yassine Fehmi-Gill’s free kick narrowly cleared the Northwood crossbar.

Woods came out for the second half with a couple of changes, Declan Nche replacing Gradi Milenge in central defence while Giovanni Palmer made way for Matteo Esposito with Sam Jenkins moving into the left-back slot.

Northwood were looking increasingly dangerous as they sought to increase their lead and after winning a free kick in a dangerous position, Ismael Ehui sent his effort over the wall but into the hands of goalkeeper Przaemyslaw Meirzwa.

Woods maintained their attacking tempo as Tecane Shrowder and Stewart combined to create an opening for Ismael Ehui, but the striker dlayed his shot which was blocked by the visitor’s defence. And Ehui was involved again moments later as he spun his marker before sending over a low cross which was swept home by Esposito for his first goal in Northwood colours, extending the lead with 57 minutes on the clock.

Northwood were forced into their final substitution as cramp got the better of the hard-working Surmon who was replaced by Aaron Petch just after the hour mark. But the hosts continued to create chances as Shrowder saw his shot saved by Meirzwa while in a rare Wembley attack, Avery was on hand to execute a timely block to foil Ned Jones.

Woods were soon back on the offensive as Stewart combined with Shrowder once more with the latter seeing his shot saved by Meirzwa, before a free kick was only half cleared by the Wembley defence with Esposito latching onto the loose ball but unable to direct his shot on target.

Northwood’s second half showing was deserving of further goals and they went close again as Joakim Ehui worked himself into a good position before firing narrowly over.

But with the clock ticking down, Wembley had a wonderful chance to grab a consolation, but Nche was on hand to divert Calvin Osborne’s goal bound shot and maintain Northwood’s two goal cushion.

And so the contest finished with Woods gaining a much needed morale booster ahead of a crucial league game at home to South Park on Saturday as they look to negotiate a path away from the foot of the table.