Northwood 1  Uxbridge 1 (3-2 pens.)

Tuesday 26th October 2021


1 Dan Purdue    
2 Pablo Velasco ©    
3 Gio Palmer (88m)    
4 C J Fearn    
5 Ryan Avery (50m)    
6 Arnold Linturn    
7 Joakim Ehui    
8 Declan Nche    
9 Melos Ajvazi    
10 Leo Decabo    
11 Sam Coles (68m)    
12 Ismael Ehui (68m)    
14 Matt Surmon (50m)    
15 Lewis Batten (88m)    
16 Matteo Esposito    
17 Montel Joseph    

Uxbridge: Tyler Tobin, Gavin Austin, Reece Weekes , Elliott Poley, Columbus Iyayi, Sam Shaw  (Adedade Adesoye 78m), Ezra Ndukuba (Jiovanni Addo 75m), Alex Paine, Alex Witham (Lucas Camacho 89m), Juwon Akintunde, Victor Osobu


Northwood gained a little relief from their recent league struggles and a modicum of revenge for their recent drubbing with a penalty shootout success over near neighbours Uxbridge to proceed to the next round of the county cup.

Woods were missing a few regular faces including the ever-present Shakeel Morris, which meant a first start for Sam Coles while Joakim Ehui made his first start for a number of weeks. There was also a return for Farnborough loanee CJ Fearn to bolster the midfield.

Northwood were forced to do some defending in the early stages as Uxbridge started brightly and the visitors were close to taking the lead as Victor Osobu latched onto a fumble by keeper Daniel Purdue, but the Woods stopper made amends as he blocked the follow up effort.

Northwood gradually settled and they began to make an impression in the Uxbridge half with Purdue’s long throw releasing Ehui who forced a corner from which Arnold Linturn’s close-range shot was charged down by the Uxbridge defence.

Woods kept up the attacking momentum and they were denied an opening goal as Melos Ajvazi saw his header rebound off the far post following an overlap and cross from the right flank. At the other end, Ryan Avery made a crucial six-yard box intervention as he blocked Olu Akintunde’s goal bound shot.

Matt Surmon was an early second half substitute for Woods as he replaced Avery in central defence. And both defences continued to hold the upper hand, although Ajvazi made his presence felt again as he got a header in from Giovanni Palmer’s cross which was dealt with by visiting keeper Tyler Tobin.


Northwood were enjoying plenty of possession and Arnold Linturn was the next to try his luck with a shot from distance which comfortably cleared the Uxbridge crossbar. Woods made a second change with just over 20 minutes remaining, Ismael Ehui replacing Sam Coles. But after Northwood hoped to increase their attacking threat with the substitution, they fell behind on 70 minutes as a delightful ball from former player Alex Witham set Akintunde free down the Uxbridge left and his low cross found Osobu who applied the finish.

Northwood looked to respond, and they had opportunity as Joakim Ehui’s mishit corner fell to Linturn but his shot was wide of the target. With time running out, Woods task was made greater as they were reduced to ten men as Pablo Velasco was perhaps harshly shown a red card for a foul in Witham.

Woods made their final change as Under 18’s skipper Lewis Batten was given his first taste of senior football as he came on for Joakim Ehui. And with the clock showing 90 minutes, Ismael Ehui broke down the right channel before playing a perfectly weighted ball across to Ajvazi who stroked the ball home for his first goal in Northwood colours to send the tie to penalties.

Daniel Purdue once again showed his penalty saving prowess with a couple of blocks while Ismael Ehui and Declan Nche made no mistake before Fearn converted his team’s fifth penalty to send Northwood through to the next round where they will play host to Wembley.