Northwood 1  Uxbridge 7

Saturday 25th September 2021


1 Montel Joseph ©    
2 Adam Cash    
3 Pablo Velasco (65m)    
4 Leo Decabo (63m)    
5 Arnold Linturn    
6 Matt Surmon    
7 Shakeel Morris    
18 Declan Nche    
9 Connor Cullen (65m)    
10 Matt Ayres    
11 William Dupray    
12 Sam Coles (65m)    
14 Mo Sahnoun    
15 Ryan Avery    
16 Matteo Esposito (63m)    
17 Giovanni Palmer (65m)    

Uxbridge: Tyler Tobin, Mark Goodman, David Sota, Elliott Poley, Ryan Haugh, Alan Hedley, Prince Ogunmekan, Lonit Talla, Alex Witham (Victor Osobu 68m), Anthony Mendy (Lenny Farhall 71m), Mahlondo Martin (Juwon Akintunde 72m)


Northwood had an afternoon to forget as they were thrashed by near-neighbours Uxbridge who continued their impressive start to the season.

Woods came into the game having had a free Saturday and were looking to build on the encouraging second half performance that they produced at Marlow a few days previously. Manager Ben Murray had made a couple of signings in the interim adding midfielder William Dupray and striker Connor Cullen to his squad and both were handed their debuts. Meanwhile, Arnie Linturn returned to partner Matt Surmon in central defence in place of the suspended Gradi Milenge.

Uxbridge were quickly into their stride with Tony Mendy serving Northwood an early warning with a curling effort which flew narrowly wide. But the experienced striker didn’t have long to wait before opening his account on eight minutes after as he was allowed to get around the back of the home defence before slotting the ball beyond Montel Joseph.

Woods responded well with a succession of incisive moves, Declan Nche seeing a shot deflected wide after a build-up involving Dupray and Leo Decabo. And Nche went close again as he saw his header from Decabo’s corner cleared off the line with Cullen shooting wide on the follow up.

Northwood continued to press with Shakeel Morris making a jinking run into the Uxbridge box, but his shot was blocked after a taking one too many touches while Decabo ran on to Dupray’s pass into the box but the final shot was charged down once again by the visitor’s defence.

However, Woods had the wind taken out of their sails as Mendy doubled his tally after he expertly turned Surmon before delivering an emphatic finish to increase Uxbridge’s lead on 26 minutes. Northwood went close to conceding again as former player Mahlondo Martin saw his shot rebound off the post with Mendy having two bites of the cherry with follow up shots which were bravely blocked by Woods’ right-back Adam Cash.

Uxbridge kept their foot on the gas as they looked to put the game beyond the hosts before half-time with another former Northwood man, Alex Witham, shooting over when well placed. But the Reds weren’t to be denied as they went into the break three goals to the good as Martin showed a good turn of pace, after Northwood had conceded possession, to race clear and apply the finish with 43 minutes on the clock.

Northwood needed an early goal to have any chance of a second half recovery and they went close immediately after the restart as Uxbridge keeper Tyler Tobin spilled a shot with Morris almost in as the ball ran loose. However, the contest was effectively ended as Witham extended his side’s lead with ease on 51 minutes.

Shell-shocked Northwood now had only pride to play for but they were struggling to break out of their malaise and it was perhaps no surprise when they conceded a fifth goal just after the hour mark as Martin completed his brace with a near post finish.

Woods made a triple substitution with Pablo Velasco, Cullen and Decabo making way for Matteo Esposito, Sam Coles and debutant Gio Palmer and the hosts briefly threatened as Nche got on the end of a Coles corner but didn’t get the necessary connection on his header.

And Northwood’s misery continued as they conceded two further goals, with substitutes Juwon Akintunde and Lenny Farhall converting on 84 and 87 minutes respectively.

With the 7-0 score line equalling Woods’ heaviest-ever Isthmian League defeat, a New Year reverse at home to Windsor and Eton back in 1999, Morris popped up in the first minute of stoppage time to convert Palmer’s cross to ensure history wasn’t repeated - scant consolation on a wretched afternoon for Northwood.