Sutton Common Rovers 1  Northwood 2

Saturday 19th February 2022


1 Daniel Hosier    
2 Sam Jenkins    
3 Andy Lomas    
4 Keagan Cole ©    
5 Luke Tingey    
6 James Gurteen    
7 Kyal Williams    
8 Matt Surmon    
9 Josh Helmore (83m)    
10 Sydney Ibie    
11 Carl Stewart    
12 Micah Jackson    
14 Alex More (83m)    
15 Yiannis Constantinou    
16 Lewis Batten    
17 Tommy Boxer    

SCR: James Dillon, Ryan Dacres-Smith, Jay Dunstan-Digweed , Ryan Healy (Perri Iandolo 46m), Germaine Dua, Jake Hill, Will Efambe (Prince Adeyemi 70m), Shawn Lyle, Yao Aziamale (Anh-War Tran-West 79m), Ezekiel Bademosi, Jephte Tanga


Resilient Northwood defied the stormy weather and a second half barrage from their hosts to extend their remarkable run to seven successive away league wins.

Almost 18 years to the day since Woods’ only previous visit to Gander Green Lane when they drew with Sutton United in an Isthmian Premier encounter, the excellent playing surface ensured that the contest was only one of three South Central games to survive the heavy morning rain and the effects of Storm Eunice.

There were a number of changes to the Northwood team; the influential Teddy Stacey missing his first game due to the foot injury he picked up against Guernsey with Matt Surmon his replacement in midfield while Alex More and Yiannis Constantinou reverted to the bench as Andy Lomas and Sydney Ibie returned to the starting line-up.

Northwood, with the strong wind at their backs, were quickly on the front foot and an early Lomas corner led to James Gurteen heading against the far upright. And the visitors worked another useful position with Sam Jenkins in an advanced position, but he delayed his shot and off-loaded to Ibie whose effort was charged down.

Ibie was running at the Rovers defence at every opportunity through the inside right channel and one foray led to the hosts conceding a free kick on the edge of the box, Keagan Cole sending a delightful, curling effort over the wall and into the top corner to give Woods the lead with seven minutes on the clock.

The hosts responded well with the lively Jephte Tanga seeing his jinking run ended by a timely block from Cole. And Tanga was instrumental in the equaliser on 16 minutes as he evaded a couple of weak challenges before setting up Yao Aziamale who made no mistake from close range.

Sutton were buoyed by the goal and Ryan Healy was the next to try his luck as he sent a long-range effort wide of the target.

But Northwood regrouped and Kyall Williams evaded a couple of challenges with a run into the box before unleashing a shot which brought out a full-length save from keeper James Dillon. However, Dillon was powerless to prevent Woods regaining the lead in the 32nd minute, Surmon threading a lovely ball inside the full-back to the overlapping Lomas whose inch-perfect cross to the far post was met by Josh Helmore, who swept the ball home into the roof of the net to maintain his impressive scoring record.


Woods came out for the second half knowing they could expect a test with the unabating wind in their faces and Rovers went close to punishing some sloppy play from the visitors as they lost possession in their own half, Aziamale dragging a low shot wide.

Despite struggling to get out of their own half at times, Northwood did manage the occasional advance into the Rovers half, Williams forcing a corner after another strong run into the box while Helmore latched onto a loose ball before firing a shot on the turn into the arms of Dillon.

But Sutton kept up the pressure on the Northwood backline, Dan Hosier producing a couple of saves to deny Perri Landolo and Ezekiel Bademosi while the former sent a free kick narrowly wide before Tanga saw his shot deflected wide. Woods continued to stand firm in the face of constant Rovers attacks, Prince Adeyemi the next to go close as he fired over when well placed.

Having survived a severe test of their defensive credentials, Northwood threatened to put the game beyond Rovers as Helmore broke clear before being denied by a superbly timed tackle from Germaine Dua.

More was added to the fray on 83 minutes as Helmore made way with Williams shifting across to a more central role. And Woods went close again as the contest moved into added time, Ibie being thwarted by a smart save from Dillon.

But in the penultimate minute of the four indicated for stoppages, Rovers had their last chance to gain something for their endeavours as they were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position, however, Hosier was up to the challenge once again as he dealt with Adeyemi’s effort to make sure of the points on another bountiful away day for Northwood.