Chalfont St Peter 1  Northwood 0

Saturday 16th April 2022


1 Dan Hosier    
2 Sam Jenkins    
3 Andy Lomas    
4 Keagan Cole ©    
5 Luke Tingey    
6 Jesse Boateng (80m)    
7 Kyal Williams    
8 Matt Surmon (80m)    
9 Josh Helmore (83m)    
10 Sydney Ibie V    
11 Carl Stewart    
12 Ryan Young (80m)    
14 James Gurteen (80m)    
15 Tommy Boxer    
16 Sam Cahill    
17 Lewis Batten (83m)    

Chalfont: Ben Parslow, Fred Hernandez (Isaac Monene 74m), Brandon Kalu, Sean McGuinness, Elliott George , Panny Boxer, Josh Boorn (Bogdan Stolboushkin 88m), Isiah Noel-Williams, Micah Jackson, Ali Mouajal , Chris Regis


Northwood had an afternoon to forget as they slipped to a narrow defeat at the hands of relegation threatened Saints after having to play the last third of the contest with nine men after the harsh sending offs of Luke Tingey and Sam Jenkins.

Woods welcomed back Dan Hosier, who resumed the goalkeeping duties in place of Daniel Purdue, while Sam Jenkins returned to his right wing-back role after recovering from injury. There were changes to the back three with Keagan Cole returning to his sweeper role and Jesse Boateng being given a start while James Gurteen and Tommy Boxer dropped to the bench. Matt Surmon was restored to the Northwood midfield while Sydney Ibie was back in the attack after both missed the Hanwell game.

Woods threatened from the off with Cole stabbing wide after Luke Tingey’s long throw into the Chalfont box found its way to the Northwood skipper before Surmon latched onto another Tingey throw with his goalward header being deflected away by a defensive shoulder.

Northwood maintained their bright start, being cheered on by a healthy contingent amongst the 124 crowd, Ibie getting beyond the Saints defence before sending in a low cross which just evaded the on-rushing Josh Helmore.

The hosts were struggling to make much of an impression in the early stages, a speculative long-range effort from Chris Regis failing to trouble Hosier. And Woods were soon back on the offensive as Ibie hooked the ball over from a good position after Helmore and Kyal Williams combined to create the opening before Ibie had another opportunity as he just failed to connect with Carl Stewart’s far post cross.

Woods were making light of the bobbly surface as they continued to play their football, another slick move involving Surmon and the over-lapping Andy Lomas ending with Ibie’s curling shot narrowly clearing the Saints crossbar.

Having had to do all the defending up to that stage, Chalfont had a wonderful chance to open the scoring following a quick break from Isiah Noel-Williams who set up Ali Mouajal, but the latter’s weak shot was comfortably dealt with by Hosier.


Woods suffered their first negative note of the afternoon as Tingey received a questionable caution which would have implications later in proceedings. However, the visitors were soon asking further questions with Stewart and Jenkins having shots charged down in a goalmouth melee, Surmon seeing his shot deflected over before Boateng headed narrowly wide from a Lomas corner.

However, Chalfont finally began to find some attacking rhythm shortly before the break, Noel-Williams having a shot blocked following Mouajal’s pullback while Hosier denied Noel-Williams when the better option might have been to off-load to the unmarked, former Northwood striker, Micah Jackson. And Hosier was called into action again as he kept out a Panny Boxer free-kick.

Northwood came out for the second period hoping to maintain their attacking momentum while finding that elusive end product, but they first had some defending to as Brandon Kalu headed into the arms of Hosier.
But any realistic hopes of pressing on towards victory were dashed as Woods were faced with the prospect of playing the remaining 29 minutes with nine men following the dismissals of Tingey and Jenkins. Tingey was the first depart on 50 minutes as he received a second yellow card as he challenged for a bouncing, 50/50 ball. Then just after the hour, Jenkins made contact with Jackson as they both challenged for the ball, the latter finally gaining control before breaking clear  and seeing his shot saved by Hosier, the referee inexplicably bringing play back for a free-kick and brandishing his second red card of the afternoon.

Northwood survived the free-kick and reverted to a 4-3-1 formation, Hosier forcing Josh Boorn wide as he broke into the box while the Woods stopper collected a deflected effort from Sean Mc Guinness. Woods were looking comfortable with the hosts struggling to move the ball around and make their numerical advantage count. However, in a rare moment of attacking cohesion, Jackson spun smartly in the box before dispatching the ball beyond his former teammate Hosier to give Saints the lead on 79 minutes.

Northwood made a double change with Surmon and Boateng making way for the fresh legs of Ryan Young and James Gurteen. And Woods had a glorious chance to level after Cole’s 30-yard freekick was spilled by keeper Ben Parslow, Helmore pouncing on the loose ball but scooping over with the goal at his mercy.

Lewis Batten replaced Helmore for the final minutes and Northwood forced a couple of freekicks in stoppage time but to no avail as Cole’s deliveries into the box were gratefully gathered by Parslow – Woods left to ruminate on the afternoon’s events and a match that had promised so much more.