Bracknell Town 3  Northwood 0

Saturday 5th March 2022


1 Daniel Hosier    
2 Ryan Young (67m)    
3 Andy Lomas ©    
4 Luke Tingey    
5 Tommy Boxer (67m)    
6 James Gurteen    
7 Kyal Williams    
8 Teddy Stacey    
9 Josh Helmore    
10 Sydney Ibie    
11 Carl Stewart    
12 Will Robinson    
14 Alex More (67m) (80m)    
15 Matt Surmon (67m)    
16 Lewis Batten    
17 Kristian Belousas (67m)    

Bracknell: Michael Eacott, Ethan Burden, Caden Genovesi, Temi Eweka, Daniel Bayliss, Scott Rees (George Knight 78m), Max Herbert, Michael Atkinson , Shamar Moore (Duncan Culley 78m), Aaron McLeish-White (Dave Tarpey 78m), Seb Bowerman


The Woods’ unbeaten start to 2022 and their long nine-match winning run away from home both came to an end as high-flying league leaders Bracknell Town once again enhanced their title credentials.

Andy Lomas returned to the starting line-up after a spell of illness and Ryan Young recovered from his spell on the sidelines with injury by taking up the injured Sam Jenkins’ spot on the right side of the defence. Skipper Keagan Cole was also missing as he served a one-match suspension. Teddy Stacey moved into the centre of midfield in place of Matt Surmon who dropped to the bench along with Alex More. There was also a formation change, with Josh Helmore dropped into a deeper role.

The Robins had lost just twice all season and had conceded only ten goals in 27 previous league matches and it will only be a matter of a short time before they are crowned champions, but the Woods started with their own confidence behind them. After just four minutes, a long-throw from Luke Tingey was only half-cleared and both Helmore and Stacey both had stabs at a shot on goal but both were well blocked by the solid home rearguard.

A minute later Bracknell forced a corner and it was met at the near post by Temi Eweka but that was also blocked and cleared.
Northwood went close themselves after 10 minutes when Carl Stewart flighted in a free-kick and Stacey met it with a looping header which dropped too late and only onto the roof of the net.

Neither side got on top as the half progressed with Kyal Williams next to get an effort on target after 25 minutes as he exchanged passes with Sydney Ibie and let fly with a shot which was claimed high by goalkeeper Michael Eacott.

Unfortunately for the Woods, straight from that attack Shamal Moore jinked into the area and went down under a challenge from Tommy Boxer and the referee immediately pointed to the spot. The Robins’ top scorer Seb Bowerman made no mistake from the penalty, firing powerfully into the top corner to give Dan Hosier no chance.

The home side had their tails up and Hosier was in action twice in quick succession, firstly saving well from a Moore strike and then the same player stung his hands again. The ball ran loose this time but was cleared to safety.


After 35 minutes, the game slipped further away from Northwood when the referee gave another penalty to the Robins. Boxer was again the unlucky culprit, this time connecting with Eweka, who came from behind him, as he attempted to clear the ball. Bowerman stepped up again and although this time Hosier got down to save his lower effort, the ball rebounded kindly back into the taker’s path and he tapped home for a second goal.

Any chance of salvaging something from this game ended just six minutes after the restart when a ball was played in from the right and one-time Woods striker Aaron McLeish hit a shot firmly from the edge of the box, and it nestled inside the post for a 3-0 lead.

The Woods did rally to try to make the scoreline more respectable. Young enjoyed a good run down the right only to see his cross claimed at the near post by Eacott, and Ibie began to cause a few problems for the home defence. He found space in the box but was unable to get a shot off before slipping it to Helmore whose effort lacked the power to really test the keeper.

More and Surmon were introduced for Young and Boxer after 68 minutes, and six minutes later Ibie again enjoyed a good run down the left before cutting in but his shot was always rising and cleared the crossbar.

At the other end, both McLeish and Bowerman also fired high and wide while with ten minutes left, Woods substitute More was forced off having suffered a bit of double-vision and was replaced by Kristian Belousas. It was the recent recruit Belousas who then combined with Williams to knock in a good cross which found Stewart but his free header was the wrong side of the post with Eacott nowhere near it.

That was the last goalmouth action and in the end the Robins held out comfortably for another clean sheet and another three points. Bracknell now officially need just another seven points from their final eight matches to secure top spot and a place at Step 3 for next season.

Report by ALAN EVANS