NORTHWOOD FC   Tuesday 6th March 2018   UXBRIDGE

Evo-Stik League South, East

  Northwood 0  Uxbridge 1  

Maguire 94

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Xavi Comas     1 Paul McCarthy
2 Sam Oyeniran     2 Ben Peden
3 Tom Gilbey     3 Justin Thompson (75m)
4 Wilson Chingoka © (88m)     4 Cory Watson
5 Sam Tring     5 Harry Tucker
6 Lewis Hobbs     6 Kevin Warner (71m)
7 Meshach Williams     7 Hicham Abdellah
8 Charley Barker     8 Adam Humphries (56m)
9 Jermaine Osei (80m)     9 Dylan Kearney
10 Evans Kouassi     10 Luke Maguire
11 Ned Clarke (41m)     11 Cole Brown
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Femi Azeez (80m)     12 James Burgess (71m)
14 Paolo Montella     14 Rhys Rabess
15 Hamilton Bunga (88m)     15 Prince M’Bengui (56m)
16 Isaac Olorunfemi     16 Anthony Thomas
17 Andrew Camilo-Tayaca (41m)     17 Yahya El-Khabouche (75m)
      Referee: Steven Rea; Assistants: Mourad Bougouizi & Andy Batten      
  REPORT by Robin Piper  




Northwood slipped to a stoppage-time defeat for the second game running as they conceded the only goal of the game in the fourth minute of added time at home to local rivals Uxbridge. There was a Woods debut for Sam Oyeniran who took up a position on the right flank following his move from Barton Rovers while Ned Clarke returned to the starting line-up to partner Jermaine Osei in attack.

Woods began in a confident manner with Evans Kouassi testing the visitors with a succession of jinking runs, but as so often has been the case in recent weeks, there was no one to apply the finish to the good approach work.

Click image to read programme

Uxbridge were beginning to find some joy down Northwood’s right-hand side with Cole Brown making a number of forays into the home box but he shot high and wide of the target when well placed while Luke Maguire sent a shot from distance over the crossbar.

But Woods continued to look threatening with Charley Barker and the lively lively Kouassi to the fore, the latter starting a slick move which saw Meshach Wiiliams getting on the end of Tom Gilbey’s cross but the close-range shot was blocked. And Kouassi was in the thick of it again as a run and shot was parried by goalkeeper Paul McCarthy, the rebound falling nicely to Osei who unfortunately stabbed the ball wide from six yards out.

Uxbridge continued to offer a threat of their own as Hicham Abdellah combined with the overlapping Ben Peden, but his cross-shot flew across the face of goal before Woods keeper Xavi Comas was called upon to deal with a low shot from Brown. At the other end, Wilson Chingoka drew a save from McCarthy after more good work from Kouassi.

Northwood were forced into a change on 41 minutes as Clarke succumbed to a back problem with substitute Andrew Camilo-Tayaca entering the fold and Oyeniran moving into a central attacking role. But Woods maintained their attacking momentum as Kouassi stung the hands of McCarthy with a rasping shot before Tayaca played in Oyeniran but his shot cleared the Uxbridge crossbar.

However, it was the visitors who went closest to scoring before the half-time break as Comas produced a finger tip save to deny Brown before Dylan Kearney almost punished some hesitation in the home defence but his shot on the turn was off the target.

Northwood were immediately on the attack after the restart as Williams’ shot from the edge of the box flew narrowly wide of the upright after Uxbridge failed to clear a corner. But it was the visitors who built on their strong finish to the first period  as they enjoyed a spell of sustained pressure with Peden, Kevin Warner and Kearney all going close.

Uxbridge were now looking the more cohesive unit and seeing plenty of the ball while Woods were looking increasingly short of ideas, Kearney once again finding himself in a good position but could only hook his shot wide of the Woods goal. However, Chingoka did find space in the Uxbridge box to have a couple of efforts on goal but his attempts were comfortably dealt with by McCarthy and the visitor’s rearguard.

Former Northwood man James Burgess was introduced for Warner for the last twenty minutes to bolster the Uxbridge midfield and the visitors were looking increasingly dangerous with Maguire having a shot saved by Comas and Abdellah’s follow up shot being deflected for a corner.

Femi Azeez was introduced for Osei to add fresh legs to the Woods attack with ten minutes left on the clock and the young striker had an early chance but his shot was saved by McCarthy. And Northwood made their final substitution as Hamilton Bunga replaced Chingoka as the hosts continued to look for that elusive goal.
But it was Uxbridge who  were carrying a  greater threat with a series of swift attack as the match moved towards the closing stages, Abdellah, Brown and Kearney all spurning good opportunities.

Northwood were growing increasingly anxious with Azeez picking up a caution for a silly foul. And Woods frustrations were complete as they conceded the crucial goal with almost the last kick of the game, Maguire bundling the ball home after getting on the end of Brown’s cross to condemn Northwood to a fourth defeat in five games.