NORTHWOOD FC   Tuesday 15th August 2017   MONEYFIELDS

Evo-Stik League South, East

  Northwood 1  Moneyfields 1   

Adamson 90+3

Fennemore 63

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Harry Voss     1 Steven Mowthorpe
2 Pat Kelly     2 Curtis Da Costa
3 Pat Adamson     3 Jamie Ford
4 Lewis Hobbs     4 Lewis Fennemore
5 Brad Hewitt ©     5 Brett Poate
6 Marcus Rose     6 Sam Pearce (46m)
7 Michael Osei (84m)     7 Daniel Wooden
8 Evans Kouassi     8 Joseph Briggs
9 Meshach Williams     9 Ryan Pennery (84m)
10 Tayshan Hayden-Smith     10 Stephen Hutchings
11 Harry Newman (43m)     11 Conor Bailey (46m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 James Gurteen     12 Gary Austin
14 Hakim Nyariki (84m)     14 Tyler Giddings (46m)
15 Jay Thorne     15 Jake Raine (84m)
16 Antonio Walker (43m)     16 Marley Ridge (46m)
17 Wilson Chingoka     17 Louie Martin
      Referee: Andy Loe; Assistants: Elliott Mayer & Remi Olopade      
  REPORT by Alan Evans   

The Woods just avoided a second successive defeat to start the new season with a last-gasp leveller scored by former Leyton Orient youngster Pat Adamson which sent the home crowd home mainly happy. Simon Lane made just one change from the side that lost on the opening day as they took on another promoted side in Moneyfields as new signing Evans Kouassi came into the attack in place of Wilson Chingoka.

The visitors, who made the long journey up from Portsmouth had started their campaign with a victory over Kempston Rovers but it was Northwood who began best in this contest.  The home side pressed early and quickly with Harry Newman causing problems down the left and a cross after ten minutes looked destined to be tucked home before Jamie Ford made an excellent defensive clearance for a corner.

Click image to read programme

Northwood continued to push with Michael Osei getting forward from midfield and a quick one-two just outside the box saw him slip the ball to Meshach Williams who should have buried the chance but took an extra touch and had his effort blocked by some good rearguard work from Joe Briggs.

On 23 minutes an excellent run from Adamson saw him cut in from the left and let fly with a shot that goalkeeper Steven Mowthorpe could only parry and although Newman swept home the loose ball, it was correctly ruled out for offside.

Gradually, the visitors began to find their feet and they went close from a 28th minute corner, hit towards the near-post where Stephen Hutchings flicked a header which flew over the bar. Generally the Woods defence was looking strong while up the other end Tayshan Hayden-Smith had a shot that flew well over before the Woods lost Newman to a nasty head injury that needed stitches just before the break; replaced by Antonio Walker.

The visitors made a double change at half-time and started the second half well and goalkeeper Harry Voss was alert to the danger as he saved well at the feet of Ryan Pennery.

Kouassi tried his luck from distance after 53 minutes with an accurate curling shot that dropped just the wrong side of the post with Mowthorpe just a spectator but the Moneys hit back again on the hour with a good cross from the left picking out Pennery but his volley flew wide of the gaping goal.

Marcus Rose’s attempted overhead-kick after a corner dropped to the edge of the box was claimed safely by the visitors‘ keeper but just a minute later a ball into the Woods box was only half-cleared and it fell to Lewis Fennemore just outside the box and his half-volley flew into the top corner to give Voss no chance and Moneyfields a 63rd minute lead.

The game became feistier from that moment on really. The Woods won a free-kick but had Brad Hewitt booked for a challenge as play continued after the whistle Voss made a good save from Pennery to keep the Woods in with a chance. Ford picked up a yellow card for the visitors for a tug on Kouassi as he looked to race into the box. From the resulting free-kick, Williams fired wide of the near-post when most were expecting a ball across goal.

Then, on 79 minutes, Marcus Rose was fouled by Dan Wooden but reacted by throwing the ball at his opponents and was sent off by Referee Andy Loe to leave the Woods with just ten men for the final stages and still a goal down. Fennemore blotted his copybook with a booking when taking down Kouassi as he flowed towards goal and this time it was Kouassi who took the kick but this time a deflection took the ball over the bar.

The Woods gambled a little by throwing Hewitt into attack in the final minutes and almost paid the price in the first minute of stoppage-time a s a long ball put Wooden into the big space at the back but he blasted into the cemetery behind the goal having been put under pressure by Pat Kelly. There were three minutes of stoppage time added and it was just into the final one of those that the ball was played out wide on the left and Adamson took a stride before shooting for goal with the ball taking a deflection to wrong-foot Mowthorpe and loop into the far corner.
Then followed a pointless confrontation between Kouassi and the visiting keeper as the Woods looked to get the game restarted as quickly as possible. They both ended up with yellow cards which could have been a different colour but there was no time for any further action anyway with the final whistle following shortly afterwards. In the circumstances, the Woods will have been happy to rescue a point as they continue to lay down foundations with their new side.