Saturday 17th February 2018


Evo-Stik League South, East

  Marlow 1  Northwood 0  

Chapple 5


Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Simon Grant     1 Xavi Comas
2 Chris Ovenden     2 Isaac Olorunfemi
3 Leslie Sackey     3 Andrew Camilo Tajeco
4 Jack Kerrigan     4 Wilson Chingoka
5 Alex Salmon     5 Tom Gilbey
6 Jay Welch     6 Sam Tring
7 Allen Bossman (64m)     7 Meshach Williams
8 Kelvin Bossman (88m)     8 Charley Barker (82m)
9 Lee Barney     9 Dernell Wynter (71m)
10 Junaid Bell     10 Evans Kouassi (90m)
11 Curtis Chapple  (75m)     11 Harry Newman
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Issac Osei-Tutu (64m)     12 Declan Nche
14 Charlie Barton (88m)     14 Paolo Montella
15 Jordace Holder-Spooner (75m)     15 Hamilton Bunga (90m)
16       16 Femi Azeez (82m)
17       17 Hakin Nyariki (71m)



Referee: Luigi Lungarella; Assts: Charlie Dickens & Martyn Cannon



  REPORT by Robin Piper    PHOTOS by James Brown  



Northwood endured a frustrating afternoon as they went down to a solitary goal defeat at Marlow despite dominating for long periods and creating a host of chances.

There was a new look to the Woods starting line-up, with Under 18s manager Richard Elderfield taking charge in the absence of Jake Heracleous. There were debuts for on-loan Leyton Orient pair Andrew Camilo Tajeco and Charley Barker at left-back and in central midfield respectively, while there was a return for Dernell Wynter in attack to replace the injured Jermaine Osei. Northwood also had to make do without the services of Tyler Hatherly following his departure to Welwyn Garden City.

Woods once again began by switching Mesach Williams and Harry Newman to opposite flanks with the latter starting in the less familiar right-wing role. And there were early chances at both ends as Northwood goalkeeper Xavi Comas easily gathered Jay Welch’s shot while Evans Kouassi lobbed effort fell narrowly went wide of the Marlow goal.
But the crucial strike wasn’t long in coming as Curtis Chapple was allowed to cut in from the left flank and despatch a low shot inside the near post to give Marlow the lead on five minutes. Undeterred, Northwood looked for a quick response and they should have done better as both Kouassi and Williams squandered good openings when well placed. With Barker settling well in midfield and Newman finding space on the right flank, Woods continued to press with the latter testing Marlow keeper Simon Grant with a cross-shot.

However, the hosts went close to extending their lead as Lee Barney was through on goal but he was denied by a brave save from Comas who gathered the ball at the feet of the Marlow striker.

Williams and Newman switched flanks to revert to their more familiar positions as the visitors continued to ask all the questions but to no avail as Wynter and Kouassi both wasted gilt-edged chances while Isaac Olorunfemi was denied by Grant. At the other end, in a rare Marlow attack, Comas was quickly off his line to deny the on-rushing Kelvin Bossman.

The second period began in a similar vein with Woods making most of the running but sadly without an end product. Wynter turned provider for Newman who was unable to get his shot on target before the former latched onto a Williams through-ball but his effort was smothered by Grant.

Kouassi was the next to create an opening for Northwood as his trickery left Wynter one on one with Grant but not for the first time, the desire for an extra touch when an early shot might have been better, saw the opportunity missed.

Despite a scare for Woods when Chris Ovenden saw his close range shot blocked by Comas, the attacking impetus continued to be exerted by the visitors. Newman was looking increasingly dangerous the left flank but sadly there was no end product while Barker latched onto a floated pass from Wilson Chingoka but his deft volley sailed narrowly wide of the upright.

Wynter made way for substitute Hakim Nyariki with twenty minutes left on the clock as Woods kept pushing for an equaliser, another Newman cross flashing across the face of goal before Kouassi was denied once again by Grant.

Northwood utilised all their substitutes in a desperate attempt to gain the reward that their performance warranted. Barker and Kouassi made way for fresh legs in the shape of Femi Azeez and Hamilton Bunga but the closing stages followed a familiar pattern, Olorunfemi sending in a low cross in stoppage time which sadly evaded the waiting red shirts.

That was the last chance as the referee called time on proceedings to leave Northwood pondering on what might have been and to reflect on their second successive defeat.  However, Woods have an early chance to make amends as they look forward to hosting Barton Rovers on Tuesday evening.