NORTHWOOD FC   Monday 28th August 2017   HAYES & Y. UTD.

Evo-Stik League South, East

  Northwood 2  Hayes & Yeading 0   

Boxer 18, Kouassi 25


Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Harry Voss     1 Jack Smith
2 Pat Kelly     2 Orlando Rodrigues (74m)
3 Pat Adamson     3 Danny Blanchett
4 Brad Hewitt ©     4 Phil Appiah (43m)
5 Tommy Boxer (63m)     5 Harly Wise
6 Lewis Hobbs     6 Mat Mitchell-King
7 Wilson Chingoka (80m)     7 Gurkan Gokmen (74m)
8 Evans Kouassi     8 Spyros Mentis ©
9 Meshach Williams     9 Rowan Vine
10 Arash Abdullahi (75m)     10 Josh Chamberlain
11 Tayshan Hayden-Smith     11 Rondell Gordon
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Jack McDonnell (80m)     12 Frankie Jones (74m)
14 Jamie Doolan     14 Manny Duku (43m)
15 Jay Thorne     15 Danny May
16 Louis Hall (75m)     16 Ismael Ehui
17 Hakim Nyariki (63m)     17 Joakim Ehui (74m)
      Referee: Elliott Kaye; Assistants: Farai Hallam & James Kerten      
  PHOTOS by James Brown  

REPORT by Guest Reporter Dev Bajwa

Northwood looked to keep their good run of form going with a strong performance against Hayes and Yeading this Bank Holiday. With games coming thick and fast, the players had been instructed to play a “high pressure” game as they considered themselves the “supremely fitter” outfit when matched against their older, though more experienced, opponents.

In a game, which benefitted from a very spirited start, the Northwood faithful would have been encouraged by the energetic showing of Tayshan Hayden-Smith, with the pacey attacker regularly attacking the Hayes back line in the early running. With Northwood attempting a variety of set-piece plays whenever the chance presented themselves, Hayes were well matched to deal with any pressure.

Click image to read programme

The home side, however looked continually threatening with right-back Pat Kelly and marauding centre-midfielder Evans Kouassi pulling the strings, searching for that opening goal. And without either side having a clear-cut chance for the first 15 minutes, up stepped Tommy Boxer in a sea of white shirts who was able to benefit from some poor Hayes defending to head over the advancing Jack Smith to give the Woods the lead.

This advantage encouraged the Woods even further to stamp their authority on the game with Wilson Chingoka and Kouassi forever causing problems for the ageing Hayes back line. Then, merely 8 minutes after conceding the first goal, the Hayes net rippled once again after a magnificent solo run from that man Kouassi before he scuffed a shot that crept past the diving Smith. 2-0 up now and the Woods are cruising to their second victory in a row, especially with the crowd growing ever more restless with their Hayes players.

Following a short water break it was anything but business as usual for the home side as the all-white Hayes came storming forward through Spyros Mentis and Gurkan Gokmen, the latter of whom brought out the best in goalkeeper Harry Voss just minutes before the break.

The Woods went into half-time very satisfied but the same couldn’t be said for their opponents. My guess is their manager must have riled them up at half time as Hayes came storming out the blocks at the beginning of the second half. But each time they were confronted by the man-mountain that is Harry Voss who was dealing with everything comfortably. The same must also be said for Barnet loanee, Lewis Hobbs who showed what his parent club was missing after some excellent positional play to deny and frustrate the opposition.

Such frustration became apparent in Hayes’ own captain, Mentis who, after having already been booked in the first half for a late challenge on Williams, was flirting with the law again with a few late challenges flying about the pitch. Hayes were as lucky to end the game with 11 men as Northwood were to get their clean sheet. And in the end, a result that warrants Voss’ outstanding performance in goal, the Woods came away with a 2-0 victory to the delight of the West London faithful.