HARTLEY WINTNEY   Saturday 12th August 2017   NORTHWOOD FC

Evo-Stik League South, East

  Hartley Wintney 2  Northwood 0  

Argent 1, 39


Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Jake Maddock     1 Harry Voss
2 Callum Eagle     2 Pat Kelly
3 Ben Greenwood     3 Pat Adamson
4 Joe Paris     4 Lewis Hobbs
5 Adam New     5 Brad Hewitt ©
6 Liam Eagle     6 Marcus Rose (74m)
7 Dean Stow (85m)     7 Michael Osei
8 Ian Jones     8 Wilson Chingoka (60m)
9 Sam Argent ©     9 Meshach Williams
10 Paul Hodges (90m)     10 Tayshan Hayden-Smith
11 Adam Everiss (70m)     11 Harry Newman
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Tom Walsh     12 James Gurteen
14 Adam Parfitt     14 Hakim Nyariki (74m)
15 James Tennant (85m)     15 Jay Thorne
16 Louie Paget (90m)     16 Antonio Walker (60m)
17 Jack French (70m)     17 Cameron Lyttle



Referee: Robert Ablitt; Assistants: Adrian Cook & Tim Godfrey



  REPORT by Alan Evans   PHOTOS by James Brown  



After a promising run of pre-season results, Northwood began their new league season on Saturday with plenty of hope but came up against a newly-promoted side in Hartley Wintney buoyant from two successive Combined Counties League titles and confident in their working practice on their own sloping pitch.

Simon Lane’s new side was completely changed from last season, all but one of those who took part were making their Northwood debuts, alongside skipper Brad Hewitt who was returning after four years away for his third spell with the Woods. Each of the new recruits had impressed during the run of friendly matches, other than goalkeeper Harry Voss, the former Tottenham Under-21 academy player, who had been recruited on loan from Bishop’s Stortford just a few days earlier.

The home side could not have had a better start. They quickly won possession, knocked the ball forward for skipper Sam Argent to chest the ball down to debut strike partner Paul Hodges who neatly chipped Voss for the shock opening goal. The time; just 47 seconds into the new season. It allowed Hartley Wintney to settle very quickly and the Woods struggled to get any sort of attack flowing. Control of the ball was lost in midfield and Hodges raced for goal but this time his shot flashed wide as the Row looked to threaten again.

It was after 29 minutes that an over-hit cross reached Adam Everiss at the far post and he did well to get a header on target at the near post but Voss pushed it away. Four minutes later more good work from Everiss saw him link with the overlapping full-back Ben Greenwood but his cross was headed wide by Argent under pressure from Hewitt’s challenge.

The Row certainly looked the more likely to add to the scoreline in the first-half and it came after 37 minutes as the Woods failed to stop a cross from the right wing and when Dean Stow fired the ball across goal, Argent showed real goalscorer awareness to instinctively stretch out his leg to deflect the ball past Voss for a second goal. Five minutes later Northwood recorded their first real effort on goal as Harry Newman battled through the centre and stabbed a right-footed shot which was only just wide of the post.

After the break the Woods did start to see more of the ball but it had still been the home side who had gone closest in the early stages as Stow fed Argent but the striker’s chip went wide of the target.

The first change came on the hour when Antonio Walker replaced the disappointing Wilson Chingoka, moments after he had picked up the first yellow card of the match, and a reshuffled side did start to threaten a little more with Tayshan Hayden-Smith more involved from a deeper role. He hooked a shot over the top while a Newman run was ended by a trip from Joe Paris which earned him a caution.

As the half wore on, the Woods pushed forward more, looking for a way back into the game and it left them more open at times. Seconds after coming on as a substitute, Jack French could have netted a third goal but sliced his shot wide of the goal. Newman was getting more into the game down the left side but a couple of inviting crosses failed to find anyone attacking the ball while Hayden-Smith got forward again for a shot from 20 yards that again failed to test the home goalkeeper.

A rash tackle just outside the box gave Stow a great opportunity from a free-kick but Voss got across to it to touch his effort against the post and the loose ball was cleared. Just a minute later a handball from Lewis Hobbs presented Stow with a second chance but Voss was equal to it again.

Having survived that, Northwood rallied again, looking for a consolation at least. Newman found Meshach Williams in the box and he set up Michael Osei for a shot which again flashed wide. Then Newman produced a perfect cross to the far post that was met by Williams who headed down well only to be denied by the post. It was the closest that Northwood would come to a goal on a very frustrating opening day.