EGHAM TOWN FC   Saturday 6th January 2018   NORTHWOOD FC

Evo-Stik League South, East

  Egham Town 2  Northwood 2  

Woods 50, Matthew 74

Chingoka 22, Martin 89

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Aaron Bufton     1 Xavi Comas
2 Alex Nolan     2 Lewis Ochoa (82m)
3 Lewis Cole     3 Matt Hall
4 Devante McKain     4 David Taylor
5 Mitch Wiseman     5 Lewis Hobbs ©
6 Rhys Paul     6 Wilson Chingoka
7 Danny Julienne     7 Tyler Hatherly
8 Louis Stead     8 Jack McDonnell (46m)
9 Brendan Matthew     9 Jermaine Osei
10 Matt Woods     10 Mahlondo Martin
11 Callum Webb     11 Harry Newman (69m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Wayne Carter     12 Isaac Olurunfemi (46m)
14 Liam Tack     14 Romelle Alomenu (69m)
15 Aaron Jewell     15 Paolo Montella
16 Jordan Frederick     16 Nebay Haile (82m)
17 Ryan Debattista     17 Kojo Gyimah



Referee: Jack Hall; Assistants: Panos Fellas, Jack Hobbs



  REPORT by Robin Piper    PHOTOS by James Brown  



Northwood overcame a patchy second half performance to salvage a draw on a sticky surface at the Runnymede Stadium. Woods were up against a number of familiar faces on the pitch and a management team lead by former Northwood striker Chris Moore and supported by ex-Woods’ favourite Wayne Carter. Coach Gary Farrell completed the Northwood connections.

Woods were much changed from the team that lost at Hayes & Yeading on Boxing Day. There was a return for goalkeeper Xavi Comas with Matt Hall, newly signed from Hemel Hempstead, coming into a defence missing Bradley Hewitt and Tom Gilbey. Tyler Hatherly made a first start in midfield following his switch from Hertford Town, replacing the departed Tayshan Hayden-Smith while Jack McDonnell started at right wing-back. And Woods were finally able to welcome back striker Jermaine Osei following his long injury lay-off as he partnered Mahlondo Martin in attack.

Northwood were immediately on the attack in the opening minute with Osei finding space to get a shot on target but ex Woods goalkeeper Aaron Bufton made a comfortable save. At the other end, Hall made a timely intervention with a well-executed tackle to deny Brendan Matthew as he looked to get on the end of Matt Wood’s through-ball. And the hosts threatened again as they had an appeal for handball against Comas turned down as the Northwood keeper collected a long ball over the top on the edge of his box.

Having survived a couple scares, Woods began to gain the upper-hand. Bufton was called into action again to deal with a Wilson Chingoka header, while Martin picked out Osei who sent a fierce volley wide of the target. And Northwood deservedly took the lead on 20 minutes as Harry Newman made progress down the left flank before threading a perfectly weighted pass through to Chingoka, who delivered an emphatic finish for his fourth goal of the season.

Egham were quickly on the attack as they looked for a response to falling behind, Woods blasting over from a good position before former Northwood man Louis Stead headed wide from a Matthew cross. But Northwood continued to look dangerous on the break with Osei directing a header straight at Bufton following Martin’s hanging cross to the far post.

The hosts were looking increasingly dangerous as they delivered a strong finish to the opening period with the lively Woods being denied by a last-ditch Lewis Ochoa tackle before the Sarnies’ striker was almost in on goal again but was crowded out by the Northwood defence. At the other end, McDonnell did well to find Martin in a dangerous position but Lewis Cole was on hand to divert the danger for Egham.

Woods made a change at the break with Isaac Olurunfemi  replacing McDonnell in the right wing-back position. And the visitors had some defending to do as they conceded a couple of early corners. But Northwood’s  vulnerability to the set-piece was exposed as Stead flicked on Lewis Cole’s corner for Woods to head home to restore parity on 48 minutes. And Woods went close to adding another as he flashed a shot wide of the far post after good work from Stead.

Northwood were struggling to get a grip on proceedings but a rare moment of cohesion involving Chingoka, Olurunfemi and Osei  created an opening for Martin but he was crowded out by the Sarnies’ rearguard. And Egham upped the pressure with a series of attacks, Comas producing a point-blank save to deny Woods, while the latter dragged another shot narrowly wide of the target. In between, Stead rattled the Northwood crossbar with a fierce drive. The hosts continued to press and Callum Webb and Rhys Paul tried their luck with long range shots which failed to seriously trouble Comas in the Northwood goal.

The visitors made a change on 69 minutes with Newman making way for Romelle Alomenu. And Osei went close for Northwood as he shot narrowly wide after being set up by Martin. However, Northwood were made to rue that miss after sloppy defending allowed Woods to send over a cross for Matthew to bundle the ball home to give Egham the lead on 74 minutes. And Matthew went close again as he stung Comas’ fingers with a fierce shot.

Woods made another change as they looked for a way back, Nebay Haile replacing Ochoa with the visitors switching to a flat back four. And Haile’s introduction paid dividends as he was involved in Woods’ equaliser with four minutes remaining, the substitute initiating the move before Osei  played in Martin who shot beyond Bufton.

And Northwood spurned a glorious chance to take all three points in stoppage time as Martin crossed for Osei, but with the goal at his mercy a cruel bobble meant the Woods striker failed to make any contact to ensure that that the honours remained even.