NORTHWOOD FC   Tuesday 6th February 2018   CHALFONT ST PETER

Evo-Stik League South, East

  Northwood 0  Chalfont St Peter 2  

Cass 87, Hastings 90+4

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Xavi Comas     1 Carl Dennison
2 Meshach Williams     2 Frankie Jones
3 Harry Newman (76m)     3 Ryan Haugh
4 Evans Kouassi     4 George Fenton
5 Hamilton Bunga (57m)     5 Alan Hedley ©
6 Sam Tring     6 Jack Mullan (87m)

Isaac Olorunfemi

    7 Max Holland (63m)
8 Tyler Hatherly ©     8 Alex Paine
9 Jermaine Osei (49m)     9 Mahlondo Martin (59m)
10 Wilson Chingoka     10 Jake Cass
11 Tom Gilbey     11 Victor Osobu
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Joe Russell (57m)     12 Rob Hastings (63m)
14 Hakim Nyariki     14 Louis Stead (59m)
15 Paolo Montella     15 Alex Lafleur
16 Nebay Haile (76m)     16 Remmel Clarke (87m)
17 Femi Azeez (49m)     17 Connor Shingleston
      Referee: Jon Creswick; Assistants: Andy Batten & Jonathan Bolland      
  REPORT by Robin Piper  




Northwood suffered their first defeat under the stewardship of Jake Heracleous as their five match unbeaten run came to an end by conceding two late goals against in-form Chalfont St Peter. There were a couple of changes following the energy sapping encounter at Ashford, Tom Gilbey and Tyler Hatherly returning to the starting line-up with Joe Russell and Hakim Nyariki dropping to the bench.

The Saints arrived at Chestnut Avenue looking for a sixth league win on the spin and they were quickly on the front foot as their pacy attack featuring ex Woods Mahlondo Martin and Max Holland tested the home defence with Jake Cass trying his luck with a number of long range efforts.

Click image to read programme

The visitors proceeded to lay siege to the Northwood goal and goalkeeper Xavi Comas denied both Jack Mullan and George Fenton before the lively Cass scooped a close range shot over the crossbar.

Having stood firm against a barrage of Chalfont attacks, Woods finally found some attacking momentum, Sam Tring seeing his shot deflected for a corner before Evans Kouassi and Harry Newman combined to present Jermaine Osei with a glorious chance to take the lead, but was he was denied by an instinctive, point-blank save from goalkeeper Carl Dennison.

But it was only a brief interlude as the Saints regained the initiative with Northwood conceding possession and a series of free-kicks. And Woods were indebted to Comas as he produced a perfectly timed save at the feet of Victor Osobu to deny the Chalfont striker.

However, Woods created an opening on the stroke of half-time as Meshach Williams burst into the visitors' box but his shot was blocked by Saints’ defence.

The second period began with Cass once again trying his luck from distance but the radar continued to be askew as the stalemate persisted.

Northwood introduced 16 year-old Femi Azeez for his debut as a replacement for Osei, the latter struggling with his troublesome hamstring, while Russell replaced Hamilton Bunga in central defence. The visitors also made a change as former Woods striker Rob Hastings replaced Holland as their side continued to offer a greater threat, Cass spurning another couple of opportunities.

However, Northwood then proceeded to enjoy their best spell of the match as Azeez saw his shot saved by Dennison before the Saints’ stopper parried a fierce Kouassi shot onto the crossbar.

Newman made way for substitute Nebay Haile as Woods continued to ask questions of the visitors’ defence, Wilson Chingoka heading over from a Kouassi cross while a Williams header was narrowly wide from Haile’s hanging cross. And Williams was in the thick of it moments later as Northwood had their penalty appeals turned down after a clash of legs as the Woods striker looked to execute a shot on goal.

Former Woods midfielder Louis Stead entered the fray for the closing minutes and he went close with a free-kick from the edge of the box with four minutes left on the clock. But the deadlock was finally broken a minute later in controversial circumstances as Cass appeared to push away his opponent before striding forward and delivering a low shot beyond Comas.

At the other end, Chingoka saw his half volley clear the Chalfont crossbar, but the seal was put on Northwood’s disappointment as Hastings robbed Comas to roll the ball into an empty net in the fourth minute of added time to ensure another win for the Saints.