ARLESEY TOWN   Saturday 26th August 2017   NORTHWOOD FC

Evo-Stik League South, East

  Arlesey Town 1  Northwood 3  

Moses 64

Williams 18, Martin 32,
Kouassi 90+6

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Bart Pedrycz     1 Harry Voss
2 Cade Stephens-Abbey     2 Pat Kelly
3 Luke Abraham ©     3 Pat Adamson
4 Kye Andrews     4 Tommy Boxer
5 Joe Steele     5 Brad Hewitt ©
6 Bill Plumpton     6 Lewis Hobbs
7 Dom Morgillo (66m)     7 Tayshan Hayden-Smith
8 Elias Moses (89m)     8 Evans Kouassi
9 Kim Forsythe     9 Meshach Williams (90+4m)
10 Taylor Rhiney (57m)     10 Arash Abdollahi (63m)
11 Tony Williams     11 Mahlondo Martin (89m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Harlem Sambu (89m)     12 Wilson Chingoka (89m)
14 Aaron Gooch     14 Hakim Nyariki (90+4m)
15 Taz Andrews (57m)     15 Jamie Doolan
16 Craig Packham (66m)     16 James Gurteen
17 Djon Gibbs     17 Jack McDonnell (63m)





Referee: Paul Forrester; Assts: Kieran Haywood & Mark Stevens



  REPORT & PHOTOS by Alan Evans  



The Woods notched their first victory of the season at the fourth attempt after an excellent first-half performance saw them defeat Arlesey who are still looking for their first league points of the season. With defender Marcus Rose ruled out with suspension, there was a debut for Tommy Boxer who came in from Potters Bar Town while there was also a first appearance for Arash Abdollahi who has moved down from the Midlands having last played for Heanor Town. Harry Voss was back between the sticks after missing the previous week’s FA Cup defeat while Meshach Williams was up front after a short break.

The early exchanges were fairly even. Cade Stephens-Abbey heading a free-kick over the bar and Kim Forsythe directing his wide either side of Abdollahi firing wide following a cross from Williams. But the Woods gradually got the upper hand and after Evans Kouassi had a shot saved comfortably, they grabbed an 18th minute lead. Abdollahi battled and won a ball in midfield before sliding in Kouassi down the right. His run and cross was met by Williams and his flick flew past goalkeeper Bart Pedrycz for the opening goal.

Northwood were clearly dominant at this stage and knocking the ball around well with Williams going close to a second with a shot that flew only just wide. After 32 minutes a quick break out of defence saw Williams flick the ball on into the path of Malandro Martin and his raced to the edge of the box before letting fly with a superb strike that arrowed into the top corner to give Pedrycz no chance.

The home side had little to offer at this stage and they had Pedrycz to thank for not conceding a third just before half-time as Kouassi found space for a rocket of a shot which the Arlesey keeper dived to his right and pushed round the post. Kouassi continued to cause problems after the break, twisting and turning to get in a shot at goal which again saw Pedrycz get down well to palm the ball wide. From the resulting corner, Lewis Hobbs put in a cross which found Williams unmarked but his header lacked the power to beat the keeper.

But Arlesey began to make inroads and Taylor Rhiney was put through on goal only to see his strike well saved by Voss in the Woods goal. It was Rhiney’s last action as he picked up an injury in that action. The Woods still looked dangerous on the break, though. Abdollahi’s cross was cleared by Luke Abraham but Tayshan Hayden-Smith picked up the loose ball and played in Martin but his shot was too high.

The home side got back in the game on 65 minutes a little out of the blue as former Woods midfielder Elias Moses, making his Arlesey debut, found space in the centre and let fly with a shot that struck a post and rebounded across goal and over the line before Voss could recover it.

Martin had another effort saved low down by Pedrycz but on 77 minutes Arlesey went close to levelling things as a corner was swung in and defender Joe Steele’s  header crashed back off the crossbar and was cleared. It was a let off for the Woods but they were never seriously threatened again and after near-misses for both Kouassi and Martin, they wrapped up all three points deep into stoppage-time. Hobbs won a ball in midfield and it sat up nicely to allow the youngster to thread the perfect pass through to Kouassi who raced on and slotted past Pedrycz for a third goal.

The victory was not only Northwood’s first win of the season but also their first away win of 2017; the last success being on a trip to Ashford Town (Middlesex) back in November 2016 so ended a run of fourteen away games without a victory.