UXBRIDGE FC   Saturday 18th March 2017   NORTHWOOD FC

Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central

  Uxbridge 5  Northwood 0  

Woods 21, Eisa 30, Bates 34,
O'Connell 65, Thomas 87


Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Paul McCarthy     1 Borja Loeches-Teixeira
2 Ben Peden     2 Daniel Taylor (57m)
3 Andrew Dean     3 Andrew White
4 Mitchell Wiseman     4 James Budden
5 Rafiq Bettamer     5 Filipe Anjos
6 Kevin Warner     6 Louis Bircham
7 Lewis Cole     7 Joakim Ehui (84m)
8 Abobaker Eisa     8 James Burgess ©
9 Matt Woods (64m)     9 Malachy McGovern
10 Wayne Carter © (64m)     10 Mickey White (78m)
11 Jon-Jo Bates (46m)     11 Kieran Barnes
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Anthony Thomas (64m)     12 Fabian Brown (84m)
14 Craige Tomkins (64m)     14 Jamie Clark-Samuel (78m)
15 David Manu     15 Myles Stephenson (57m)
16 Jay O’Connell (46m)     16 -
17 Hussam     17 -



Referee: Robert Claussen
Assistants: Alexander Kyriacou & Elliott Mayer



  REPORT by Alan Evans   PHOTOS by James Brown  



The Woods slipped to their sixth successive defeat and are now looking nervously over their shoulders at the improving Histon as relegation becomes a real concern. There was nothing much to cheer on this trip to big rivals Uxbridge who, despite having lost five successive home games prior to this encounter, cruised to an almost effortless victory.

Filipe Anjos returned from suspension but there was only a place on the bench for Myles Stephenson as Mark Burgess continued to blood the youngsters.

The home side looked dominant from the start with Matt Woods just failing to get a touch to a cross from Abobaker Eisa in the second minute and then Wayne Carter firing over from a good position just three minutes later. Lewis Cole was unlucky with a good strike and then, after Joakim Ehui had recorded the first Northwood effort on goal, Uxbridge did finally take the lead on 20 minutes with the prolific Woods driving the ball home with a fierce shot.

The Woods found no response and then two goals in five minutes killed off the game. After 29 minutes a close-range tap-in from Eisa doubled the home side’s lead and then a long-range effort from Jon-Jo Bates should have been comfortable for Borja Loeches-Teixeira but the ball went straight through his dive and it was suddenly 3-0.

Stephenson was introduced soon after the break while Uxbridge felt comfortable enough to bring on youth teamer Jay O’Connell at half-time while also withdrawing Woods and Carter with half an hour still to go.

And it was two substitutes that bagged the other two goals of the game in the final fifteen minutes. Before that James Budden headed a free-kick straight at goalkeeper Paul McCarthy and then another header from a corner was also saved.

But on 75 minutes O’Connell burst forward down the right and finished with a powerful shot that crashed in off the crossbar. And the thrashing was complete after 88 minutes when Anthony Thomas chipped neatly from distance with a shot that dropped in neatly under the bar for 5-0.

Louis Bircham should have netted what would have only been a consolation goal in the closing stages but slipped it wide of the post with just McCarthy to beat. All in all, a day to forget again for the Woods.