NORTHWOOD FC   Tuesday 1st November 2016   ROYSTON TOWN

FA Trophy First Qualifying Round replay

  Northwood 1 Royston Town 4   

Heneghan 5

Castiglione 41, Thomas 55,
Powell 71, Bridges 88

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Montel Joseph     1 Joe Welch
2 Alex Nolan     2 Gus Scott-Morriss
3 Callum Wright     3 Luke Warner-Eley
4 Mark Burgess     4 Scott Bridges
5 James Budden     5 Ryan Frater
6 Louis Stead     6 Dan Braithwaite (67m)
7 Frankie Jones (78m)     7 Josh Castiglione
8 James Burgess (78m)     8 Ryan Towner
9 Ryan Debattista (61m)     9 Simon Thomas
10 Louis Bircham     10 Spyros Mentis
11 Luke Heneghan     11 Ryan Ingrey (77m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Myles Stephenson (61m)     12 Chris Watters
14 Joakim Ehui (78m)     14 Danny May (67m)
15 Filipe Anjos     15 Martel Powell
16 Thomas Spenser     16 John Frendo
17 Ismael Ehui (78m)     17 Frazer John (77m)
      Referee: Steve Scott; Assistants: Alan Cresswell & Chris Reid      
    REPORT by Alan Evans    

Having missed out on the chance to win their FA Trophy tie at the first attempt on Saturday, this midweek replay proved a step too far for the Woods despite again taking an early lead. Mark Burgess was able to name an unchanged side for the replay but their opponents made four changes to their starting line-up including the more physical presence of Ryan Frater in defence and Simon Thomas up front.

After Thomas had scuffed an early chance for the visitors, even earlier than they did on Saturday, Northwood took the lead after just five minutes when a neat passing move found Luke Heneghan in space and he found the back of the net with a crisp strike from the edge of the box.

Josh Castiglione who impressed with his direct running down the left flank when he came on as a substitute at the weekend, was quickly into his stride and one deflected effort had to be cleared for a corner by Callum Wright.
Wright then turned attacker with a good run and cross which picked out Louis Bircham but he failed to control and was unable to get off a shot. The striker then had another opportunity soon after as Ryan Debattista set up Bircham for another effort but this time his shot was blocked.

But the Woods began to come under more pressure as the half progressed and Spyros Mentis flicked one shot wide before Thomas’s header was comfortably gathered by Montel Joseph in goal. After 32 minutes Ryan Ingrey did well down the right and pulled the ball back from Gus Scott-Morriss to swing in a dangerous cross and Castiglione saw his header come back off the crossbar. The ball ran wide to Ingrey again and his deep cross was tipped over by Joseph.

Mentis had another shot deflected wide and from the resulting corner a header from Daniel Brathwaite was cleared by Louis Stead. But the pressure finally told on 41 minutes as Castiglione turned Alex Nolan inside out before floating over a cross which sailed over everyone and dropped into the far top corner to level the scores.

It was a real blow for the Woods and the away side remained strong and positive in the second half. Just ten minutes in Scott Bridges had a shot which was scrambled wide but not cleared and when the ball was put back into the danger-zone Castiglione headed towards goal and Thomas forced it over the line from close-range to put Royston ahead.

So far the scoreline had gone exactly the way it had on Saturday but the Woods had managed to get back on level terms quite quickly. This time, just two minutes later, another low Heneghan strike saw goalkeeper Joe Welch save well but not hold on. Bircham was first to the loose ball but he was unable to lift his shot over the on-rushing ‘keeper who was able to complete a double-save.

Joseph managed to keep out a stinging shot from Bridges while Heneghan got forward well at the other end, beating Luke Warner-Eley and knocking in a centre but Debattista couldn’t quite stretch enough to convert in the middle.

Nolan did well to block another Bridges strike while Joseph saved from a Scott-Morriss header but Royston netted a killer third goal after 71 minutes when substitute Martel Powell was quickest onto a long goal-kick and slipped the ball past Joseph to score.

From there the Woods gambled with attackers replacing midfielders and they did enjoy a brief spell in front of goal, forcing a succession of corners and seeing Myles Stephenson’s header from a Heneghan cross pushed wide by Welch.

But they were also leaving themselves open at the back and after Joseph had saved well from another Castiglione shot, there was a stoppage-time fourth goal to wrap it up as Bridges got forward well again and to score from a loose ball after Joseph had blocked his first attempt.