NORTHWOOD FC   Saturday 28th January 2017   PETERSFIELD TOWN

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One Central

  Northwood 4  Petersfield Town 0   

A White 6, J Burgess 40
Stephenson 42, F Brown 82

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Borja Loeches-Teixeira     1 George Hill
2 Conor Clarke     2 Michael Needham
3 Andrew White     3 Matthew Graham
4 Filipe Anjos     4 Adam Cripps
5 Mark Burgess     5 Ryan Woodford © (73m)
6 Alex De La Salle (75m)     6 Josh Wycherley
7 Joakim Ehui (73m)     14 Chigozie Agwuegbo (46m)
8 James Burgess ©     8 Stuart Green
9 Myles Stephenson (83m)     9 Matt Andrews
10 Malachy McGovern     10 Billy Connor
11 Kieran Barnes     11 Lawrence Larbi
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Fabian Brown (73m)     12 Jay-Jay Tucker (46m)
14 Kris Cully     7 Max Smith (73m)
15 Jamie Doolan(75m)     15 -
16 Mickey White (83m)     16 -
17 -     17 -
      Referee:Tim Donnellan; Assistants: Lee Jessup & Laurentiu Hantea      


  REPORT by Alan Evans    PHOTOS by James Brown  



The Woods took full advantage of a home game against bottom side Petersfield Town to notch their first victory of 2017 and add another nail in the relegation coffin for their opponents.

The changes to the squad that manager Mark Burgess had been forced into over the previous weeks continued unabated and no less than four players made their Northwood starting debuts in this game. Two players have arrived from Premier Division Hitchin Town on loan with Conor Clarke coming in at right-back while Kieran Barnes played wide on the left. Andrew White, who has been playing in Amateur football for Eagles FC, replaced the departed Callum Wright at left-back while young Hendon prospect Malachy McGovern came in up front to support lone striker Myles Stephenson.

And the new-look Woods side got off to the perfect start with the opening goal after just six minutes. Andrew White joined the attack down the left wing and after some clever footwork from Barnes, the ball was returned to White who angled a shot across goalkeeper George Hill and inside the far post.

The Rams tried to rally but Northwood’s defence kept any real attacks at bay and after Stephenson had fired one effort wide, a powerful header from Alex De La Salle, making his home debut, was pushed over the bar by the visitors ‘keeper.

Petersfield had a chance from a free-kick two minutes later but Matt Andrews fired over the top but they were almost level on 35 minutes as a striker burst through a gap and went past goalkeeper Borja Loeches-Teixeira but his shot was cleared off the line by a covering Mark Burgess.

Having gone close to equalising, the Rams were then hit by a second Northwood goal five minutes later as Stephenson raced into the box and was tripped for a clear penalty. James Burgess took responsibility for the spot-kick and blasted the ball past Hill for 2-0. It got worse for the visitors just two minutes later when Stephenson got free again and finished with a crisp strike to put the Woods three goals ahead by half-time.

The Woods continued to dominate after the break. Stephenson and Ehui both forced Hill into saves in the opening stages before McGovern set up Ehui for another great chance but he fired wide of an open target. Barnes almost grabbed a debut goal himself as he shot powerfully from a wide position but Hill was equal to it, pushing the ball over the bar before Clarke also steered a shot wide after latching onto a White corner.

It had been a quiet game for Loeches-Teixeira but he did well to deny Andrews after the striker had done well to control a long crossfield pass and then go for goal but there was little else to bother the Woods ‘keeper.

After 82 minutes substitute Fabian Brown notched his first Northwood goal with a well-struck chipped-shot from wide on the right that sailed into the top corner. There was another debut shortly after this as another Hendon youngster Mickey White came on for Stephenson and he made an immediate impact with a run and cross which found Barnes at the far post but his touch was blocked by an alert defender.

There was still time for the visitors to be reduced to ten men as full-back Michael Needham flew into a challenge on Barnes with excessive force and was immediately red-carded. It was Barnes who then almost made it 5-0 with a good shot that flew just wide of the goal.