MARLOW FC   Saturday 27th August 2016   NORTHWOOD FC

Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central

  Marlow 2  Northwood 1   

Scorer: Odhiambo 2, 78

Stephenson 71

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Simon Grant      1 Montel Joseph
2 Samuel Bangura  (81m)     2 Alex Nolan
3 Max Kilman     3 Julian Smith
4 Chris Ovenden     4 Filipe Anjos
5 Alex Salmon     5 James Budden
6 Adam Richards     6 Georges Ehui (66m)
7 Allen Bossman     7 Marinos Andreou (11m)
8 Lewis Gabbidon     8 Louis Bircham
9 Anaclet Odhiambo      9 Ryan Debattista
10 Jordan Brown (66m)     10 Louis Stead
11 Isaac Osei-Tutu (66m)     11 Callum Wright
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Aaron Jewell     12 Myles Stephenson (66m)
14 Jake Simpson (81m)     14 Luke Heneghan (11m)
15 Devontae Romeo (66m)     15 Thomas Spenser
16 Marcus Mealing (66m)     16 Simeon Owen
17 Charlie Barton     17 Mark Burgess
      Referee: Joel Mannixx; Assistants:Joseph Casey & Andy Batten      
  REPORT by Alan Evans    PHOTOS: James Brown  




Both sides were looking to bounce back from an FA Cup exit and with Mark Burgess particularly unhappy with the nature of his side’s defeat at Spartan South Midlands League neighbours Sun Sports, he made several changes. Two players made the starting eleven for the first time, with Marinos Andreou and Louis Bircham adding to the attacking prowess while two others made their debuts. In goal came former Bristol City academy youngster Montel Joseph while Portuguese-born defender Filipe Anjos came in to bolster the back-line.

But the Woods could not have made a worse start as it was only the second minute that the speedy Anaclet Odhiambo drove forward down the right and drove a shot that caught a deflection that saw the ball go straight through Joseph to put Marlow ahead. The Woods stopper made amends seven minutes later as he kept out a crisp effort from Allen Bossman and then things got even worse for Northwood on 11 minutes as Andreou fell awkwardly when challenging on the by-line and had to be substituted by Luke Heneghan.

There was 20 minutes on the clock when the Woods had their first effort on goal as Ryan Debattista set up Bircham for a chip that was saved by goalkeeper Simon Grant. Marlow were still causing problems with their pacy attack and a long ball slipped Odhiambo in again on 27 minutes. Joseph raced out to block his attempt and the ball ran dangerously loose but Anjos was there to clear away. Aoon after this Max Kilman headed a Bossman corner over the top

Northwood needed to get to the break only one behind and Marlow went close to grabbing a second in stoppage-time when a good move, starting with Issac Osei-Tutu outpacing Alex Nolan, led to Jordan Brown firing wide when he should have hit the target.

The second half was better from the Woods, as they began to dominate in the midfield area and start to look a little more dangerous up front but it was only after Myles Stephenson replaced Georges Ehui on 66 minutes did that extra bit of attacking flair start to show. James Budden latched onto a Heneghan free-kick but was denied by Grant in goal but on 71 minutes a long ball set Stephenson in on goal and he volleyed the ball past the oncoming keeper to level the scores with his first goal of the season.

Marlow could have been back in front a minute later when Julian Smith lost possession and Bossman played in Odhiambo again but he fired straight at Joseph, who held on well. Smith almost made amends for that straight away, galloping forward well down the left and then shooting across the face of goal and only just wide of the far post.

The game continued to swing from one end to the other. Substitute Marcus Mealing headed over from a Bossman corner and then a poor headed clearance dropped for Stephenson but this time Grant kept out his effort. But the crucial second goal came on 78 minutes. Nolan was again beaten for pace, this time by substitute Devontae Romeo and when he crossed, Odhiambo found himself in acres of space and he swivelled to slot inside the post for his and Marlow’s second goal.

The Woods showed good spirit as they pushed forward again. Stephenson and Budden both had shots blocked and when Louis Stead flicked a header goalwards from a corner, the ball was blocked by Grant in goal who also managed to keep out the rebound. There was still more to come as the end approached. Stephenson flicked home a cross from Smith but was flagged offside and then in stoppage-time, Callum Wright played a good ball to Stead whose excellent strike whistled just inches wide of the post with the keeper nowhere near. It had been a better performance but still a third defeat on the trot for the Woods.