CHALFONT ST PETER   Tuesday 25 October 2016   NORTHWOOD FC

Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central

  Chalfont St Peter 0 Northwood 2  


Malone OG 22, J Ehui 82

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Garry Malone     1 Montel Joseph
2 Alex Paine (79m)     2 Alex Nolan
3 Dave Thomas     3 Andy Lomas
4 George Fenton     4 Mark Burgess
5 Craig Carby (68m)     5 James Budden
6 Adam Kirby     6 Louis Stead
7 Tyrone Pink     7 Frankie Jones
8 Alan Hedley ©     8 James Burgess © (67m)
9 Kofi Lockhart-Adams     9 Ryan Debattista
10 Charlie Strutton     10 Louis Bircham (83m)
11 Jake Cass (63m)     11 Luke Heneghan (67m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Jack Mullan     12 Myles Stephenson (83m)
14 Ruddock Yalla     14 Ismael Ehui
15 Glen Yala-Bollasie (79m)     15 Joakim Ehui (73m)
16 Dean McDonnell (63m)     16 Filipe Anjos
18 Craige Tomkins (68m)     17 Callum Wright (67m)

Referee: Luke Brennan; Assistants: Luke Donaldson & Nick Brown

  REPORT by Alan Evans  




Northwood extended their recent good form to just one defeat in nine games and also managed to keep an all-important clean sheet for only the third time this season. Frankie Jones, Luke Heneghan and Louis Bircham were all restored to the starting line-up for this local derby fixture against a Chalfont side whose form had dropped away a little since the departure of ace striker Tony Mendy.

The Woods started well with both Jones and Louis Stead having early efforts blocked but it was a generally slow start with neither side threatening in the opening exchanges. After 20 minutes a free-kick from Dave Thomas saw Charlie Strutton neatly flick a header goalwards but Montel Joseph was alert to it and pushed the ball wide. The resulting corner was only half-cleared out to Tyrone Pink but he volleyed well over the bar.

Northwood were then gifted the lead though on 22 minutes. Andy Lomas knocked in a deep cross that looked comfortable for former Woods goalkeeper Garry Malone but as Ryan Debattista put pressure on him as he chased it in, Malone was distracted an only succeeded in punching the ball into his own net.

It took the Saints a while to rally but they did start to push again and a slip from James Budden out wide allowed Kofi Lockhart-Adams a run on goal but he will have been disappointed with his near-post finish that sailed wide. Just before the break George Fenton hooked over after a free-kick wasn’t cleared properly but the Woods had held on to their narrow advantage.

There was an early chance for the Woods, just three minutes into the second half as Craig Carby clipped Debattista just outside the box. A yellow card was deemed sufficient and the free-kick came to nothing as Heneghan fired straight into the wall.

On 53 minutes the Saints had their best chance so far as Lockhart-Adams knocked in a cross to find Strutton but the striker lifted his effort over the bar. Soon after this Jake Cass was not far away with a good, low strike. The Woods put a good move together on 62 minutes with Stead playing a neat exchange of passes with Jones before hitting a powerful strike that arrowed narrowly wide of the far upright.

Chalfont lost the industrious Cass soon after this to injury and Northwood began to get more of a grip on the game once again. A poor clearance from Malone fell kindly to Bircham and although he got in a good shot on goal, the keeper had recovered well and got behind it to save.

Bircham then played in Heneghan down the flank and he sent over an excellent cross which eluded everyone on the middle. Stead then fired just wide of the post once again after another good ball from Bircham while Heneghan and Debattista combined to set up substitute Callum Wright for a chance but his shot was always swinging the wrong side of the post.

Joseph saved comfortably from a Dean McDonnell free-kick as the Saints pushed numbers forward in an effort to find an equaliser but Northwood were looking dangerous on the break. After 78 minutes Malone made a good save from the lively Bircham but three minutes later he turned provider on a quick break as he slipped a ball through for substitute Joakim Ehui to race onto and he cut in to fire a shot inside Malone’s near-post and double the Woods lead. It was the wingman’s first goal for over two years and a worthy match-winner.

Both sides had one effort on goal in the closing-stages. A far post cross gave substitute Glen Yala-Bolasie a free header but Joseph pushed his effort over. Then a quick break put another substitute Myles Stephenson through on goal but his strike flew over the top.

The Woods now face a string of tough fixtures which start away at league leaders Royston Town in the Buildbase FA Trophy on Saturday.