NORTHWOOD FC   Tuesday 4th October 2016   BEACONSFIELD

Southern League Cup First Round

  Northwood 2 Beaconsfield 2
Woods won 4-2 on penalties  

M Burgess 27, I Ehui 55

Dillon 54, Campbell 56

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Thomas Spenser     1 Sam Bunting
2 Alex Nolan     2 Tim Wohlfiel (58m)
3 Jean-Paul Antwi (65m)     3 Matthew Peake-Pijnen
4 Mark Burgess (73m)     4 Tris Campbell
5 Filipe Anjos     5 Josh Gibbens
6 Louis Stead     6 Guri Demuria
7 Frankie Jones     7 Marcos Ushiro-Lumb
8 James Burgess ©     8 Jack McKnight (68m)
9 Myles Stephenson     9 Callum Bunting
10 Ismael Ehui (76m)     10 Josh Dillon
11 Joakim Ehui     11 Ollie Jones
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Luke Heneghan     12 Charlie Losasso (58m)
14 Louis Bircham (73m)     14 Aaron Minhas (68m)
15 Ryan Debattista (76m)     15 -
16 Callum Wright (65m)     16 -
17 Montel Joseph     17 -
      Referee: Rick Bloy; Assistants: Eddie Smith & Michael Hayden      
  REPORT by Alan Evans  

Having reached the semi-finals of the League Cup competition last season, the Woods were keen to keep their interest in the competition going and it was goalkeeper Thomas Spenser who proved to be the hero as he saved two penalties to ensure Northwood progressed in the shoot-out.

Both sides used the opportunity to give some game time to players who have been mainly used as substitutes in recent games and there was also a Northwood debut for 17-year-old left-back Jean Paul-Antwi, who had been with both Watford and Reading Academy sides previously.

It was an entertaining cup-tie and both sides had a couple of efforts on goal before the Woods took the lead after 27 minutes as Mark Burgess got his head to a long-throw from Myles Stephenson which beat goalkeeper Sam Bunting at the near-post for the manager’s third goal of the season.

There should have been a second three minutes later as some excellent work from Ismael Ehui saw his cross helped on by Louis Stead into the path of Frankie Jones but the young midfielder was denied his first Northwood goal by an acrobatic save by Sam Bunting. From the corner Burgess again got his head to Joakim Ehui’s centre but it flew just over the top.

The visitors looked for an equaliser before the break but Spenser kept out Josh Gibbens header and then beat out a crisp strike from Ollie Jones. Just before the break Joakim Ehui wasn’t far wide with a good shot of his own and it remained 1-0 to Northwood at half-time but Beaconsfield were level after 54 minutes when Dillon drilled home from close-range.

It was the start of a goal glut as just a minute later Stephenson got forward well down the left and cut the ball back for Ismael Ehui to arrow a shot into the bottom corner and restore the Woods lead. But again that lasted just a minute or so and Sycob were level at 2-2 on 56 minutes as skipper Tristan Campbell took advantage of plenty of space some thirty yards out and drilled a shot into the bottom corner.

It developed into a bit of a midfield battle but after 76 minutes substitutes Callum Wright and Louis Bircham combined for the latter to hit a good shot which Sam Bunting pushed onto the crossbar. The ball ran loose and Ismael Ehui headed goalwards but without the power to beat the keeper.

Wright went close with an effort that flashed across goal and wide and the Woods should have been in front after Stephenson stole the ball off of Sam Bunting but neither Stead nor Debattista could force the ball past covering defenders.

With no extra-time required in this competition, it went straight to a penalty shoot-out. Sycob went first and took an early lead but after James Burgess had levelled it up, Spenser then pulled off a fine save to deny Matthew Peake-Pijman. Debattista and Bircham both converted either side of a success for Beaconsfield but then Spenser did it again to keep out Gibbens’ effort and Callum Wright then fired home for the decisive kick to make it 4-2. The Woods now play hosts to Premier Division leaders Slough Town in the next round.