Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central

  Beaconsfield 0  Northwood 0  



Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Brendan Hazlett     1 Borja Loeches-Teixeira
2 Timothy Wohefiel     2 Jamie Doolan
3 Harrison Mepham     3 Jack McDonnell
4 Jack McKnight     4 Mark Burgess
5 Komal Llewelyn-Reid     5 Filipe Anjos
6 Daniel Bailey     6 Jay Thorne (87m)
7 Spencer Maw (61m)     7 Joakim Ehui
8 Aaron Minhas ©     8 James Burgess ©
9 Aaron Berry     9 Jackson Hall
10 Charlie Losasso     10 Myles Stephenson
11 Ollie Jones (61m)     11 Louis Bircham
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Jamie Mitchell     12 Jamie Clarke-Samuel
14 Francis Arartey (61m)     14 Andrew White
15 Aaron Sewell     15 Dylan Noble
16 Jack Lyons (61m)     16 Daniel Taylor
17 -     17 Alex De La Salle (87m)

Referee: Marcus Carmichael; Assistants: David Cox & Jon Bolland



  REPORT by Alan Evans   PHOTOS by James Brown  



The Woods grabbed their first point in nine games but with Histon defeating Uxbridge still crept closer to the relegation zone with just three games left to play of a disappointing second half of the season.

Mark Burgess had to deal with the absence of key defender James Budden after he picked up an injury the previous weekend so drafted in midfielder Jamie Doolan into a three-man defence while there were starting debuts for three players. Former youth teamer Jack McDonnell started for the first time on the left flank in place of Kieran Barnes, whose loan spell was not extended, while reserve midfielder Jay Thorne came into the centre. Meanwhile Jackson Hall, a deadline day signing from Welsh League side Trefelin FC, started up front.

Beaconsfield Sycob were similarly out-of-form with only one point gained from their last six matches and with the sun shining down on a bumpy pitch, it was always going to be one where both sides would need to battle for any points. But it was the home side who started the brighter. Charlie Losasso had an early free-kick which he sent low and wide and then Aaron Berry was given a half-chance from a through-ball but his attempted chip was grabbed by goalkeeper Borja Loeches-Teixeira. The Woods keeper also had to be alert to keep out an effort from Ollie Jones after he was set up by another quick break from Losasso.

The Woods had only seen one chance at this stage when a ball forward seemed to play Louis Bircham in between two defenders but he was unable to get a shot in on goal before a corner was conceded. After 22 minutes a good ball in saw Myles Stephenson flick on a header and it reached Hall at the far post but his header lacked the power to beat goalkeeper Brendan Hazlett.

Northwood had settled more by now and enjoyed the better of the final ten minutes. Stephenson battled well for possession and got in a shot on the turn but Hazlett saved comfortably and then James Burgess played a neat lofted ball through for McDonnell but his volley went wide. Finally, just before half-time a good move saw Thorne in space just outside the box and he forced Hazlett into a save low down that he managed to scramble wide.

That continued for the early part of the second half as the Woods continued to show plenty of energy and passion for the battle. Bircham’s cross-shot flew across the face of goal and only just over the bar before a free-kick just failed to drop for the same player as he got ahead of the defence. After 61 minutes a jinking run from Joakim Ehui ended with a good strike that Hazlett saved well and two minutes later a free-kick dropped in the six-yard box but Hall’s attempt from close-range lacked direction and the danger was cleared.

The home side had made a couple of substitutions that renewed their own dynamics and when Bircham lost possession after 68 minutes, substitute Francis Amartey got a shot in on goal that clipped the outside of a post. Another run and cross from Amartey saw Mark Burgess divert the all up and just over his own crossbar as the defending began to become a bit more panicky and then Loeches-Teixeira was forced into a fine save to deny Losasso as the home side continued to threaten.

Time was running out but there was still one more chance for each side to grab all three points. On 89 minutes a corner was cleared out to Bircham who struck his low shot sweetly and through a ruck of players but it arrowed inches the wrong side of the post. Then, just a minute later, Losasso found space at the other end and let fly from 25 yards with another clean strike that beat Loeches-Teixeira but hit the post and rebounded to safety.

It was Northwood’s first goalless draw of the season and their first clean sheet since the end of January but whether the point will prove to be a valuable one remains to be seen as the campaign comes to a climax over the next two weeks.