AYLESBURY UNITED   Saturday 7th January 2017   NORTHWOOD FC

Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central

  Aylesbury Utd 2  Northwood 1  

Witter 47, French 83

Milenge 90+4

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Zaki Oualah     1 Montel Joseph
2 Jonny Miller     2 Alex Nolan
3 Jake Bewley     3 Callum Wright
4 Jack Wood ©     4 Mark Burgess
5 Ryan Kinnane     5 Gradi Milenge
6 Olly Stanbridge     6 Alex De La Salle
7 Sonny French     7 Luke Heneghan
8 Greg Williams     8 James Burgess ©
9 Troy Witter     9 Ryan Debattista
10 Reece Cameron     10 Myles Stephenson
11 Jordon Frederick     11 Fabian Brown
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Gavin Hinds-Cadette     12 Louis Bircham
14 Alex Chilcott     14 -
15 Nat Higgins     15 Joakim Ehui
16 -     16 Jamie Doolan
17 -     17 Luke Fox

Referee:  Dale Wootton; Assistants: Darren McMillan, S McNaught



  REPORT by Alan Evans   PHOTOS by James Brown  



Northwood slipped to their first defeat for a month with a narrow defeat against an Aylesbury United side still harbouring some play-off hopes.

James Budden was ruled out with illness so manager Mark Burgess was forced to fill in at the back with Filipe Anjos still missing. It was also the last game between the sticks for goalkeeper Montel Joseph before flying off to join the Trinidad & Tobago Under-20 squad in their preparations for the Under-20 World Cup qualifiers in Costa Rica. Channing Campbell-Young was also ruled out, so there was a debut for Alex De La Salle in midfield after coming up through youth and reserve sides at the club.

The match started openly and after Sonny French shot well wide early in, Luke Heneghan did well with a good low strike that goalkeeper Zaki Oualah saved well. Joseph was also in early action, saving comfortably after Greg Williams had burst forward from midfield and then he held well when a Reece Cameron strike was directed with power but straight at him.

Cameron tried again, this time from 25 yards and Joseph did well to keep that out as well as a follow-up shot from the loose ball. Northwood worked hard to get back into the game and after Ryan Debattista had a shot blocked for a corner, he also got on the end of an Alex Nolan cross but his header looped up and into Oualah’s gloves.

After 27 minutes Heneghan and Debattista combined well to play Callum Wright down the left and his cross had the keeper stretching but he held on well at the far post.

After 35 minutes the Ducks pushed forward again with Williams spreading the ball wide to Jake Bewley and his cross picked out Troy Witter but his header was well wide. The Woods could have grabbed the lead before half-time, though. A well-worked corner saw Mark Burgess head the ball back across goal where Myles Stephenson’s volley flew up and well over the bar.

An early second half goal being conceded has crept into Northwood games recently, and this was no exception. Joseph made a superb save in the very first minute to deny French after a ball across from Williams but from the resulting corner Witter rose unchallenged on the six yard box to steer a header in for the opening goal.

The Woods tried to rally, Luke Heneghan shooting over and then Gradi Milenge found enough space in the box to hit a shot that deflected just over the bar. Aylesbury still looked dangerous on the break though as the Woods started to take risks and French was denied again after 67 minutes after a quick counter led to Joseph pulling off another excellent stop.

There were still chances to equalise. Heneghan hit a free-kick straight at the keeper while Mark Burgess shot over the top after another free-kick was flicked on by Milenge. But the killer second goal came after 83 minutes as Mark Burgess was robbed of the ball by Cameron and he played in French. Again Joseph saved his initial effort but the ball ran loose and French buried the opportunity at the second opportunity.

It was deep into stoppage time that Milenge powered home a header from corner for his first goal for the club but it was merely a consolation at that stage and the Ducks had secured all three points.