PETERSFIELD UNITED   Wednesday 23rd March 2016   NORTHWOOD FC

Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central

  Petersfield United 1  Northwood 0   

Bailey 56


Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Luke Eaton     1 Berkley Laurencin
2 Olly Searle     2 Alex Nolan
3 Sean Wain     3 Andy Lomas
4 Stuart Green     4 Steve Brown ©
5 Lewis Hyde     5 Mark Burgess (69m)
6 Jamie Ford ©     6 Omar Vassell
7 Joseph Richardson     7 Louis Stead
8 Andy Todd (86m)     8 James Burgess
9 Howard Neighbour     9 Niko Muir
10 Joe Briggs     10 Myles Stephenson
11 Oliver Bailey     11 Rob Hastings (69m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Harry Giles (86m)     12 Georges Ehui
14 Jordan Geddes     14 Simon Huggett
15 Ian Saunders     15 George Nicholas (69m)
16 Ben Buckland     16 -
17 Anthony Ender     17 Jermaine Heron (69m)
      Referee: Conor Farrell; Assistants: Richard Sargeant & A Cross      
  REPORT by Alan Evans  




A second successive single goal away defeat further deflated the Woods outside play-off hopes as they returned from Hampshire goalless and pointless. James Budden, Joakim Ehui and Bayley Brown were all unavailable for the midweek journey, so manager Mark Burgess took his place in defence while Omar Vassell was recalled from Hendon to play on the right flank.

On another difficult surface, the Woods started brightly enough with plenty of early action, starting with an attempted lob of the goalkeeper from Niko Muir after just fifteen seconds but the ball flew just wide. Muir then set up Myles Stephenson in space but his first-time shot skewed horribly wide before Andy Lomas combined with Rob Hastings who got past his marker to knock in a dangerous cross which was cleared for a corner. There was still only five minutes gone when Hastings played in Vassell and his cross picked out Muir but a poor header went over the bar.

The pressure continued two minutes later when a good run from Lomas saw him thread a ball through to Stephenson but his early shot was well saved by goalkeeper Luke Eaton who has narrowed the angle quickly. Petersfield finally got forward themselves on 13 minutes when an inviting deep cross saw Joe Briggs attempt a diving-header at the far post but he never quite reached it.

Eaton was quick off his line again on 22 minutes to beat Hastings to a good through ball before the game developed into more of a midfield battle. Stead had one effort wide of the target but it was just a sighter and after 39 minute Stead closed in on a loose ball when Stephenson lost control but his strike came back off the post. Three minutes later there was controversy as a long ball saw Stephenson get in front of his marker and when his attempted shot was saved by the keeper some thirty yards from goal it was a shock to see handball claims waved away by a feferee claiming it hit his chest.

There was still another chance for the hard-working Northwood side before the interval as James Burgess knocked in a free-kick which was headed back across goal by Mark Burgess but Hastings hooked his shot well wide. But for all their endeavour, the second half got off to a much slower start and then the home side netted the opening goal with their first real chance on 57 minutes. Andy Todd played the ball down the right to Briggs and he knocked in a deep cross to the far post where Oliver Bailey was able to head home and give Petersfield the lead.

The Woods were slow to react and made a couple of substitutions on 69 minutes, introducing Jermaine Heron and George Nicholas, the latter making a comeback after injury. It livened things up a little with Stephenson having a shot deflected for a corner but it was hard going as the side looked to rescue something out of the game.

The last fifteen minutes proved more frantic. Stead had a shot blocked, Heron fired well over after a knockdown from Brown before Muir had another two efforts blocked as the Petersfield defence remained solid. The game was deep into stoppage-time when Northwood finally got a shot on target and it came from substitute Nicholas but Eaton was behind it and saved comfortably.