NORTHWOOD FC   Tuesday 12th April 2016   HANWELL TOWN FC

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One Central

  Northwood 2  Hanwell Town 0   

Hastings 27, Stead 78

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Berkley Laurencin     1 Martin Herdman
2 Alex Nolan     2 Ryan Kinnane
3 Andy Lomas     3 Joe Chandiram (58m)
4 Mark Burgess ©     4 Tom Duffy ©
5 James Budden     5 Calum Duffy
6 Bayley Brown (90+8m)     6 Oliver Duffy
7 Rob Hastings (40m)     7 Sam Hurrell
8 Louis Stead     8 Michael Buckley
9 Niko Muir     9 Ryan Egan (46m)
10 Myles Stephenson     10 Connor Duffy
11 Max Holland (90+2m)     11 Bradley Simmonds
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Steve Brown     12 Tom Kennedy (58m)
14 Georges Ehui  (90+8m)     14 Tom Hunt
15 Joakim Ehui (90+2m)     15 Tyler Christian-Law
16 Martin Netzer (40m)     16 David Manu (46m)
17 Simon Huggett     17 Danilson Vicente
      Referee: Tim Donnellan; Assistants: Mark Stevens & Corey Snuggs      
  REPORT by Alan Evans  

The Woods completed a “double” over their Middlesex neighbours after this comfortable victory against a side who are being drawn into the battle to avoid finishing in a relegation spot.  Rob Hastings and Max Holland were chosen to start this game along with youngster Bayley Brown who started in central midfield, with George Nicholas completing his suspension.

There was pretty much an even start to the game. Michael Buckley shot wide from distance for the visitors and then, after Myles Stephenson had shot wide of the near post and Hastings had fired well over after combining well with Louis Stead, Sam Hurrell hooked a shot over from a good position for Hanwell.

After 20 minutes the visitors went close to an opening goal. Connor Duffy looked offside as he ran onto a long ball and Mark Burgess did well to get back and force him off the ball but it ran loose and Ryan Egan had a chance as he shot wide of the target.  They were made to pay for that on 27 minutes as Niko Muir won possession in midfield and threaded a fine ball through the centre for Hastings who slid his shot past the incoming Martin Herdman in goal.

Hanwell looked to hit back before the break and a diving-header from Calum Duffy was well held by Berkley Laurencin in goal before Egan put another header over the bar and then forced the Woods ‘keeper into another save from a clever flick. Martin Netzer replaced an injured Hastings before half-time and Herdman made a good save to deny Stephenson to be sure that the deficit was only one goal at the start of the second-half.

There was a much slower start to the second period, with the first effort on goal being Stephenson’s header from an Andy Lomas cross on 54 minutes which only looped up to the ‘keeper who claimed it easily. A minute later Holland’s shot was comfortably saved by Herdman. Hanwell made a double-substitution as the game appeared to be slipping away from them but it made little difference as it became more aggressive with a stop-start run of free-kicks not getting either side anywhere apart from earning a number of yellow cards.

It was after 73 minutes that Netzer saw a crisp strike well saved while a long free-kick for Hanwell crept through a number of bodies and was taken somewhat nervously by an unsighted Laurencin. But any nerves were put to bed after 78 minutes as Netzer’s cross wasn’t cleared and Stead showed some clever footwork before slipping a shot just inside the post to double the Woods advantage.