NORTHWOOD FC   Saturday 23rd April 2016   AYLESBURY FC

Evo-Stik League Southern Division One Central

  Northwood 1  Aylesbury 1   

Hastings 90+3

B Haule 82

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Berkley Laurencin     1 James Weatherill
2 Alex Nolan     2 Rob Tomlin
3 Andy Lomas     3 Aston Goss (76m)
4 Mark Burgess © (57m)     4 Ben Bateman
5 James Budden     5 Daniel Gordon
6 Bayley Brown     6 Ben Stevens ©
7 Joakim Ehui (64m)     7 Adrian Pitfield (70m)
8 George Nicholas     8 Davis Haule
9 Niko Muir     9 Brian Haule
10 Louis Stead (69m)     10 Ken Feyi
11 Max Holland     11 Jamie Rudd (59m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Rob Hastings (64m)     12 Gareth Price (70m)
14 Myles Stephenson (69m)     14 Adam Logie (59m)
15 Georges Ehui     15 Mathieu Varnica
16 Steve Brown (57m)     16 Danny Murphy
17 Simon Huggett     17 Fraser McLachlan (76m)
      Referee: Paul Forrester; Assistants: Nick Fuller & Jon Panconi      
  REPORT by Alan Evans    PHOTOS by James Brown  



A late equaliser from substitute Rob Hastings salvaged a point that kept the Woods above their opponents in the final table but they had to settle for seventh place after Chalfont St Peter’s last-day success saw them climb above both teams. The crowd was boosted by the presence of Northwood Youth team and their parents as part of the Woods Annual Community Day but with little to play for on the final day, the game was played in a fairly sterile atmosphere.

The Woods enjoyed the better of the first half, with Mark Burgess flicking a Louis Stead corner wide of the post after just two minutes and soon after Niko Muir had a good effort cleared off the line by Ben Stevens. Max Holland cut in but shot wide of the far post and then Muir had another effort taken comfortably by goalkeeper James Weatherill who also made a good save to keep out James Budden’s solid header on 14 minutes.

Aylesbury had their first strike on goal after 25 minutes when Ken Feyi did well in the box but his chipped shot was just wide of the post.

Joakim Ehui was getting plenty of success down the flank and his cross was cut out by Rob Tomlin with Holland bearing down on goal behind him. Burgess then headed wide from another well-delivered Stead corner before Muir fed Ehui and his shot from distance was only just over the bar.

Ehui got even closer to his first goal of the season after 38 minutes as a jinking run was followed by a great strike that beat Weatherill but crashed back off the crossbar. The visitors had competed well enough in midfield but had hardly had a look in up front and it was a rare foray forward that saw Aston Goss fire over with an angled shot just before the break.

The Woods looked to make their dominance pay early in the second half, and when Budden headed a Lomas cross down, the ball ran loose before Stead shot wide. Muir also had a shot on the turn comfortably saved by the keeper before Steve Brown made a welcome return from his latest injury problems as a substitute for Burgess on 57 minutes.

Aylesbury brought on Adam Logie for Jamie Rudd and he made a good impact. When Berkley Laurencin failed to hold onto Feyi’s cross, it was Logie who shot for goal but Stead was in the right place to clear. More substitutions followed and the game appeared to be drifting towards what would have been a third successive 0-0 draw between the two sides but the Moles finally caused a few problems in the closing stages.

A good cross from Logie produced a good chance for Gareth Price but Laurencin made a good save. Then, just a minute later, Logie produced another excellent cross from the left and Brian Haule poked it home to put the visitors in front.

Logie had two more strikes in quick succession that could have out the game beyond doubt but three minutes into stoppage-time, the battling Muir found some space down the right and knocked in a cross which was flicked home by Hastings from six-yards to level things up.

With the League season now over, the Woods have a two-week break in which to prepare for their tough Middlesex Senior Cup Final against Ryman Premier side Enfield Town which takes place at Uxbridge FC on Saturday 7th May at 3pm.