Northwood set an unwanted club record
  Saturday 25th January 2020

Isthmian League
South Central





Robin Piper   
James Brown


Waltham Abbey 5
Northwood 2

1 Chris Rackley  
2 Matt Hall  
3 Mack Miskin (46m)  
4 Charlie Malin  
5 Azeez Alabi  
6 Dominic Rhone  
7 Enoch Ekongo  
8 Charlie Hayford ©  
9 Mileno Ribeiro Sanches  
10 Eric Lopes  
11 Oladimeji Olajubu (46m)  
12 Jordan Payne  
14 Tristan Noel  
15 Festus Lori  
16 Joakim Ehui (46m)  
17 Craig Mathieson (46m)  
WALTHAM ABBEY: Charlie Crowley, Kouadio Ehui, Rimmell Daniel, Louis Bowen , Ryan Dear, Jack Daveney (Rob Clark 76m), Prince Domafriyie (Leonne McKenzie 78m), Billy Holland (Charlie Edwards 66m), Darrelle Russell, Shiloh Remy, Aron Gordon  

Northwood set an unwanted club record as they slipped to their ninth consecutive defeat in all competitions at Capershotts against a rampant Waltham Abbey.

Despite looking relatively solid in defence in recent games, Manager Jamie Leacock decided to switch to a back three in the hope that the wing-backs would offer a greater attacking threat. However, the plan backfired as Woods conceded two first half goals which was compounded by debutant attacker Mileno Ribeiro Sanches receiving a red card on the stroke of half-time for ridiculously kicking out at an opponent.

Azeez Alabi  was the new addition in defence while winger Festus Lori reverted to the bench with Ribeiro Sanches replacing Marley Hamilton as the lone striker.

Sitting a place off the play-off positions and recording an impressive 5-1 Essex Senior Cup win over Maldon & Tiptree in their last game, the Abbotts had every reason to be confident coming into the contest. And the confidence was plain to see as the hosts were quickly into their stride and took a tenth minute lead through Q.P.R. loanee Shiloh Remy, the shot on the turn appearing to take a deflection off Oladimeji Olajubu, after he had been afforded time and space in the Northwood box.

Woods responded well to the setback with Ribeiro Sanches and Charlie Hayford testing goalkeeper Charlie Crowley before Hayford had another effort blocked by the home defence following good link up play between Mack Miskin and Enock Ekongo. However, Northwood were punished for slack defending once more as Darrelle Russell crashed a shot into the roof of the net to extend the lead on 36 minutes.

Waltham Abbey went close to adding a third but Woods' stopper Chris Rackley made the first of many fine saves as he denied Aron Gordon with his legs. And play switched to the other end as Miskin's cross found Ribeiro Sanches but his weak header failed to find the target.

But Northwood gave themselves a mountain to climb as they were reduced to ten men in first half stoppage time after Ribeiro Sanches lashed out to cap a brief and incongruous debut.

The second period began with the unfortunate Miskin and Olajubu making way for Joakim Ehui and striker Craig Mathieson, with Dominic Rhone switching to left-back in a flat back four.

There were chances at both ends soon after the restart with Russell and Remy mis-hitting gilt-edged opportunities while Mathieson was unable to lift the ball over goalkeeper Crowley after being put in by Hayford.

But the contest appeared to be over as the Abbotts made it 3-0 on 61 minutes as Gordon cut in from the left before dispatching  his shot into the far corner. However, Northwood responded as Eric Lopes reduced the arrears with a low strike from the edge of the box with 63 minutes on the clock.

The hosts looked to restore their three goal advantage and Rackley pulled off a couple  of smart saves to deny Russell, while at the other end Lopes saw his long range effort palmed away by Crowley.

However, Rackley was powerless to prevent Russell scoring his second of the afternoon with 20 minutes left on the clock.

Woods kept plugging away and after Mathieson had spurned a good chance, Charlie Malin popped up to send a 35-yard shot arrowing  into the top corner for his first Northwood goal. The visitors had a great opportunity to reduce the arrears further, but Mathieson was denied by the legs of Crowley once again after Hayford created the opening.

And after Rackley had performed more heroics to keep out a Louis Bowen header, Gordon completed his brace with the last goal of a topsy turvy afternoon in stoppage time.