Woods out of Trophy at first hurdle
  Saturday 12th October 2019

FA Trophy
Preliminary Round





Robin Piper   
James Brown


Uxbridge 4
Northwood 1

1 Rob Partington  
2 Jaiden Irish  
3 Karl Stevenson  
4 Liam Wood (70m)  
5 Sacha M'Baye  
6 Liam McCrohan  
7 Kweku Lucan (82m)  
8 Charlie Hayford  
9 Alex Witham  
10 Dan Pett (54m)  
11 Trey Charles  
12 David Carty (54m)  
14 Louis Bircham (82m)  
15 Luke Holness  
16 Harry Lodovica(70m)  
17 Bendie Idikayi  
18 Matt Cooper  
19 Chris Gosling  
UXBRIDGE: Tyler Tobin, Mark Goodman, David Sota, Calum Duffy (Abdul Kazi 16m), Elliott Poley, Mark McLeod, Alan Hedley (Adam Morris 79m),  Alex Paine (Jack Mullan 74m), Mahlondo Martin, Callum Bunting, Jack Beadle  

Northwood ended a turbulent week by being knocked out of the FA Trophy at the first hurdle by near-neighbours Uxbridge on a wet afternoon at Horton Road.

Following the midweek departure of Scott Dash, the managerial duties were taken on by his backroom team led by Kevin Lawrence. And there was a makeshift look to their selection, as Karl Stevenson switched to left-back with Matt Cooper deemed not fit enough to start while Jaiden Irish slotted into an unfamiliar right-back role. There was a familiar face between the sticks as Rob Partington resumed the goalkeeping duties with youngster James Hoskins having being recalled to Watford. Dan Pett returned to a five-man midfield which contained debutant Liam Wood, while Alex Witham started as the lone striker.

And Woods made their customary bright start by taking the lead on nine minutes as Witham rose well at the far post to head home a Trey Charles cross for his sixth goal of the season. However, the joy was short-lived as former Wood Mahlondo Martin forced Stevenson to concede a free-kick in a dangerous position with the resulting  set play leading to Callum Bunting firing home to restore parity on 12 minutes.

Northwood went close to posting an immediate response as a swift break down the left flank saw Charles fire in a near post shot which was dealt with by Uxbridge keeper Tyler Tobin.

Following the early drama, the hosts were looking increasingly comfortable, with Stevenson being given a stern test by the lively Martin and another cross found its way to Alan Hedley via Alexander Paine, the former converting from close range to put the Reds ahead on 27 minutes.

Despite the setback, Northwood continued to offer an attacking threat with Pett being denied by Tobin when well placed, the latter gathering a Hayford free-kick at the second attempt before Witham had a shot charged down after Charles got round the back of the Uxbridge defence.

But Woods were indebted to keeper Partington as he kept his side in the contest with a number of saves. Firstly he was on hand to deny Elliott Poley following a Martin corner before he dived full-length to keep out the same player's 41st minute penalty attempt after Bunting had thrown himself theatrically to the ground following the slightest of touches from Stevenson.

And Partington's heroics continued with another smart save before Martin blazed the follow up over the bar.
Northwood made a slight tweak early in the second half as Charles swapped flanks with Kweku Lucan but the visitors had some defending to do as Partington tipped Jack Beadle's curling effort over the bar while Martin almost punished a Sacha M'Baye slip but the ball was scrambled clear.

Woods made a change on 54 minutes as Pett made way for David Carty with Witham dropping in behind the substitute striker. And Northwood had a good chance to draw level but Charles shot straight at Tobin.

However, any hopes Northwood might have had of getting back into the tie were extinguished as they conceded two goals in four minutes. Woods’ propensity to concede goals to the swift counter-attack was on show again after they conceded possession in the Uxbridge half, with Beadle applying the finish  before Martin fired an unstoppable 25-yard effort into the top corner to make it 4-1 on 68 minutes.

The hard-working Wood made way for Harry Lodovica on 70 minutes and the substitute almost made an immediate impact as his header from Hayford's corner skimmed the Uxbridge crossbar. The hosts seemed content to let Northwood have plenty of possession without the visitors really threatening as the tie looked to be petering out.

Louis Bircham replaced Lucan on 82 minutes and Woods to their credit kept plugging away and almost grabbed a consolation as Charles saw his shot deflect off the base of the post. At the other end, substitute Adam Morris threatened but scooped his shot over the bar as Partington was quickly off his line to narrow the angle. And that signalled the end of the afternoon's proceedings and another disappointing cup exit.