Agonising 88th minute goal costs Woods
  Saturday 18th January 2020

Isthmian League
South Central

Click image to view programme





Alon Farrow   
James Brown


Northwood 0
South Park 1

1 Chris Rackley  
2 Enoch Ekongo  
3 Mack Miskin  
4 Dominic Rhone  
5 Matt Hall  
6 Charlie Malin  
7 Eric Lopes  
8 Charlie Hayford ©  
9 Festus Lori (66m)  
10 Marley Hamilton (82m)  
11 Oladimeji Olajubu (82m)  
12 Jordan Payne  
14 Azeez Alabi  
15 Harry Lodovica (82m)  
16 Yiannis Constantinou (66m)  
17 Craig Mathieson (82m)  
SOUTH PARK: Craig Bradshaw, Tim Pitt, Leon Moore, Michael Hill (Callum McAllister 78m), Lea-Van Sullivan (Liam Collins 69m), Jamil Awoyejo, Great Evans, Sam Remfry, Omari Hibbert (David Fisher 67m), Kiye Martin, Ainh-War Tran-West  

An agonising 88th minute goal saw Northwood drop a valuable point against visitors South Park. Leon Moore’s outrageous looping strike from 25-yards was just enough to ensure the away side left The AcreTweed Stadium with a victory.

Manager Jamie Leacock made four changes to the starting eleven that lost to Bedfont Sports in the Middlesex Cup, with Chris Rackley replacing Jamie Stephens in goal and Enock Ekongo, Dominic Rhone and Ola Olajubu coming in for Bradley Kauzemi, Azeez Alabi and Recoe Martin.

The game started off relatively lively, with both sides wasting big chances within the first 10 minutes. South Park were the first to miss their opportunity, from six yards out Lea-Van Sullivan blazed his effort over the bar following a defensive mix-up.

Only a matter of minutes later and it was the home side who were rueing their missed chance. Eric Lopes played a superb backheel flicked pass to Marley Hamilton whose curling effort fractionally went wide of the post.

Having only just passed the 17 minutes mark, it already looked to be one of those games where the ball won’t find the back of the net.

Sam Remfrey’s driving run through the middle of the field set up Great Evans but lacking in composure, his shot blasted over the bar.

After a lively start the game started to slow down, though Ekongo had a speculative strike from 30-yards out, but it was Mack Miskin, on the stroke of half-time, who was inches away from putting the Woods in the lead.

Getting in behind the away side's defence, the left-back could not stretch his legs far enough to redirect the crossed ball into the net.

With an opportunity within two minutes of the restart, the visitors started the second half like they started the first. Evans did well to round the on-rushing Rackley, but Matt Hall was there to make a heroic last-ditch clearance to prevent South Park from scoring a certain goal.

No more than one minute later and Evans had another great chance, this time being saved by the feet of Rackley. Northwood’s goalkeeper was in action again, on this occasion with a vital fingertip save to push the ball over the bar, stopping Remfrey from scoring.

The further the game went on the more likely it seemed to be heading to a goalless stalemate; both sides were still attacking but neither looked likely to finish with the ball in the back of the net.

However, in the dying minutes that changed. Picking the ball up in his left-back position, Moore drove into the heart of Northwood’s midfield and unleashed a stunning strike which looped over the head of Rackley.

A gut-punching finish to the game for Northwood, who look to bounce back on Tuesday against Marlow.