Woods make Cup progress - on pens.
  Tuesday 5th November 2019

Middlesex Senior
Cup Second Round





Robin Piper   
James Brown


Northwood 2
North Greenford United 2
(Northwood won 5-3 on penalties)

1 Caolan Doyle  
2 Patrick Campbell  
3 Mack Miskin  
4 Jaiden Irish  
5 Azzez Alabi  
6 Sacha M'Baye  
7 Kweku Lucan  
8 Charlie Hayford ©  
9 Kingsley Eshun  
10 Harry Lodovica (72m)  
11 Luke Holness (80m)  
12 Louis Bircham  
14 Dan Pett (72m)  
15 Chris Gosling  
16 Kiye Martin  
17 Festus Lori (80m)  
NORTH GREENFORD: Evangelos Anastasakis, Emmanuel Ndukwu, Ridwan Euba, Dominic Rhone, Simon Wright, Jaylon Young, Joe Mills, Georgie Brown, James Barnett, Conor Molyneaux, Sam Molyneaux, subs. Danny Glock, Redha Zerki, Dan Clifton  

Northwood progressed in the Middlesex Senior Cup but needed a penalty shoot-out to overcome Spartan South Midland outfit North Greenford United.

There were a number of changes to the team for manager Jamie Leacock’s first game at The AcreTweed Stadium. Goalkeeper Caolan Doyle made a welcome return following his long injury lay-off while there was a debut for Azeez Alabi in central defence. Patrick Campbell returned at right-back and Luke Holness was recalled to the starting line-up in a three-pronged attack.

Woods started in a positive manner, with Harry Lodovica trying his luck from distance before Jaiden Irish saw his low shot gathered in by keeper Evangelos Anastasakis.

But Northwood had some defending to do with Alabi executing a timely tackle as James Barnett made a strong run into the home box. However, the Woods defence failed to deal with the ensuing corner as Barnett headed home unchallenged to give the visitors the lead with five minutes on the clock.

And things got worse for the hosts as North Greenford opened up the home defence with ease to allow Conor Molyneaux to extend the lead in the tenth minute.

Northwood looked to bounce back from the early setback with skipper Charlie Hayford’s lofted pass to the back post picking out Holness, who scooped his effort over the crossbar.

Kingsley Eshun was the next to threaten for Northwood as he latched onto Harry Lodovica’s through-ball but his low shot was deflected for a corner by Anastasakis, while Holness might have done better as he headed over from Campbell’s cross.

But Woods were not to be denied as they reduced the deficit on 22 minutes, Eshun heading home the loose ball after Anastasakis could only parry Kweku Lucan’s low shot from the edge of the box.

Northwood were buoyed by the goal and they proceeded to create a succession of chances, Anastasakis denying both Lodovica and Eshun while Lucan latched onto Alabi’s pass but was denied by a combination of Ridwan Euba and the on-rushing Anastasakis.

And the North Greenford stopper continued to  frustrate Northwood as he produced another save to deny Holness shortly before the half-time break.

Woods were quickly on the attack after the break, with Lucan’s cross-shot evading Eshun and Holness and clearing the far post.

The visitors forced a couple of free-kicks on the edge of the Northwood box which came to nothing, and the despite Woods enjoying the majority of possession, they were struggling to create clear-cut chances.

Lodovica made way for Dan Pett as Northwood looked to freshen up the midfield and the substitute went close as he headed over from a Hayford cross. Hayford continued to pull the strings for Northwood as another cross picked out Lucan whose stooping near post header was cleared behind for a corner.

Festus Lori was the next to enter the fray for Woods as he replaced Holness on the left wing with ten minutes remaining. And Northwood finally got their reward for the endeavours as they drew level on 83 minutes through Sacha M’Baye as he headed home from Hayford’s corner.

Both sides went close to winning it in the remaining minutes, Doyle keeping out a Joe Mills free-kick while at the other end, Lori shot narrowly wide following a strong run down the left channel.

So it was onto penalties to decide the outcome, with Pett, Hayford and Lucan’s conversions being matched by the visitors. Eshun made no mistake with Northwood’s fourth penalty but after Doyle denied North Greenford’s Redha Zerki, Lori stepped up to despatch the winning penalty to confirm Woods’ passage to the next round.