Northwood collapse after interval
  Saturday 23rd November 2019

Isthmian League
South Central

Click image to view programme




Alon Farrow   
James Brown


Northwood 1
Hertford Town 6

1 Joe Ringer  
2 Patrick Campbell  
3 Dominic Rhone (46m)  
4 Eric Lopes  
5 Ethan Flanagan  
6 Azeez Alibi  
7 Luke Holness  
8 Charlie Hayford ©  
9 Harry Lodovica (89m)  
10 Malcolm Podier (46m)  
11 Tyrone Pink  
12 Mack Miskin (89m)  
14 Brian Testolin (46m)  
15 Patrick Akwasi-Bronyan (46m)  
16 Yashwa Romeo  
17 -  
HERTFORD: Nicholas Hayes, Ben Herd, Toby Byron, Isaac Pedro , Max Jessop, Harvie Gardiner, Silviu-Andrei Rus, Percy Kiangebeni, Samuel Oueniran (Kit Brown 69m), Luke Gymer, Ben Weyman  

A horrid second half performance saw Northwood defeated 6-1, with all of Hertford’s goals scored in the final 45 minutes.

An opener from Harry Lodovica had the Woods winning at half-time, but a hat-trick from Luke Gymer and goals from Ben Herd, Isaac Pedro and Percy Kiangebeni, saw Northwood hit for six.

Manager Jamie Leacock was forced to make a couple of changes to his starting eleven, with Enock Ekongo and Patrick Piorkowski being replaced by Dominic Rhone and debutant Malcom Podier.

The game got off to a slow start, but with 10 minutes on the clock Lodovica, rather fortunately, put Northwood in the lead. A long over the top ball fell to Lodovica, and with a toe punt and a bit of luck the ball trickled into the goal.

Hertford looked to fight back, Kiangebeni tested Joe Ringer’s reflexes with a shot from the edge of the box. Ringer stood up to the test, diving to his left to tip the ball around the post.

Just before the break it could have been two goal cushion for the home side. In added time, Podier played an exquisite outside of the boot ball putting Luke Holness through one-on-one with the visitors’ keeper. Hertford’s number one reacted swiftly to come off his line and close the angle.

Northwood came out into the second half looking to consolidate their goal advantage; two minutes later, however, the away side had scored.

Right-back Ben Herd produced a sweet strike from 25-yards out, with the ball crashing into the top-right corner, leaving Ringer helpless between the sticks.

Not even three minutes later, Northwood were behind. Gymer received the ball on the edge of the box and used his quick feet to create space for himself, effortlessly passing the ball into the goal.

The Woods found it difficult to create any goalscoring chances in the second-half, with captain Charlie Hayford’s 25-yard free-kick the only notable goal threat.

Down the other end of the pitch, Hertford had no problems creating opportunities and in the 64th minute they got their third of the match. Ben Herd’s chip inside beat Patrick Campbell all ends up and provided space to square the ball to Pedro who gave Ringer the eyes and slotted the ball into the bottom right corner.

After getting their third, the visitors had no intention of stepping off the gas, and four minutes later they got their fourth. Andrei Rus rampaged down the right-hand flank producing a low-driven cross for Gymer to tap the ball into the net from no more than 5-yards.

With 20 minutes left to go, it looked like it would get worse for Northwood, and it did. A capitulation at the back helped Kiangebeni to an easy solo run goal, and eight minutes later, in added time, Gymer completed his hattrick, walking through the scarred defence and finishing with ease.

A poor end following a good start to the week for the Woods.