Woods win at Premier Div. Enfield in Cup
  Tuesday 15th October 2019

Middlesex Senior Cup
First Round




Robin Piper   
James Brown


Enfield Town 0
Northwood 1

1 Alfie Bonfield  
2 Jaiden Irish  
3 Chris Gosling  
4 Liam Wood (59m)  
5 Bendie Idikay  
6 Liam McCrohan  
7 Luke Holness (67m)  
8 Harry Lodovica  
9 Dave Carty (67m)  
10 Louis Bircham  
11 Tyrone Pink  
12 Trey Charles (67m)  
14 Charlie Hayford (59m)  
15 Dan Pett  
16 Karl Stevenson  
17 Alex Witham (67m)  
ENFIELD TOWN:Nathan McDonald, Junior Mubiayi, Lewis King, Nathan Livings, Marc Weatherstone, Sam Adams, Roman Campbell, Charles Brown, Alex Read, Samson Esan, Gideon Nsiah (Mo Koita 66m)  

Managerless Northwood gained a morale boosting win as they overcame Isthmian Premier Enfield Town at the Queen Elizabeth II Stadium to progress in the senior county competition.

Played under a delightful 'hunter's moon' which traditionally signals the start of Autumn, the evening heralded a change in Woods' fortunes as they secured only their second clean sheet of the season.

There were eight changes from the team that exited the FA Trophy at Uxbridge including three debutants. St Albans City goalkeeper Alfie Bonfield replaced the injured Rob Partington while Bendie Idikayi partnered Liam McCrohan in central defence. There was also a first appearance for the former Uxbridge man Tyrone Pink who started on the left flank.

Enfield were the first to threaten after a fairly steady start to proceedings, with Samson Esan firing in a shot which was comfortably gathered by Bonfield.

Woods gradually grew into the game and with a more compact look of late, they began to ask questions of the hosts. Luke Holness wasn't far away with a  curling effort that narrowly cleared the Towners' crossbar after being set up by David Carty before Pink made headway down the Northwood left before firing in a near post shot which was dealt with by Enfield keeper Nathan McDonald.

The hosts reminded Woods of their attacking threat as Lewis King rattled the crossbar with a rasping free-kick before Bonfield was quickly off his line to deny Roman Campbell in a one-on-one situation.

But it was Northwood who made the breakthrough from the penalty spot after Harry Lodovica was bundled over, Louis Bircham stepping up to send McDonald the wrong way with 22 minutes on the clock.

With play now flowing freely from end to end there were chances for both sides before the break. The lively Campbell twice went close while Charles Brown also shot narrowly wide for Enfield. At the other end, a Bircham corner led to a scramble in the home box with Carty having a couple of goal-bound shots inadvertently blocked by team mate Idikayi, before a cross from Pink almost found Carty, who was denied by the on-rushing McDonald.

Northwood continued in a similar vein upon the restart, with Pink being denied a debut goal as McDonald touched his shot behind for a corner after good work from Holness. Northwood made a change on the hour as Charlie Hayford was introduced for Liam Wood but Enfield were looking increasingly dangerous as Woods were forced into the back foot.

Gideon Nsiah saw his chip rebound off the Northwood crossbar before Bonfield was called upon to deny Campbell on a couple of occasions.

Woods made a double substitution as Carty and Holness made way for Alex Witham and Trey Charles but the barrage from the hosts continued.

Junior Mubiayi blazed a shot over the bar from a good position, Brown dragged his shot wide of the upright and Chris Gosling cleared another effort of the line.

But Northwood stood up to the challenge and the referee's final whistle was greeted with relief by a Woods side who were richly deserving of their passage into the next round and now await the appointment of a their new manager.