Northwood's miserable run continues....
  Saturday 9th November 2019

Isthmian League
South Central
Click image to view programme





Robin Piper   
James Brown


Northwood 0
Chipstead 3

1 Joe Ringer  
2 Luke Nugent  
3 Mack Miskin  
4 Jaiden Irish (86m)  
5 Liam McCrohan  
6 Patrick Campbell  
7 Kweku Lucan  
8 Charlie Hayford ©  
9 Kingsley Eshun  
10 Harry Lodovica (76m)  
11 Festus Lori (58m)  
12 Tyrone Pink  
14 Chris Gosling (86m)  
15 Luke Holness (58m)  
16 Kiye Martin (76m)  
CHIPSTEAD: Oliver Pain, Aaron Miller, Karn Miller-Neave, Chris Boulter, Michak Stanic-Stewart, Joshua Gallagher, Samuel Clayton (Jaden Edwards 80m, Daniel Moody, Kyen Nicholas, Tom Collins (Archie Morgan 68m), Sam Bell


Northwood’s mood matched the weather as their miserable run continued with defeat at the hands of mid-table Chipstead in manager Jamie Leacock’s first league game at The AcreTweed.

Emergency centre-back Patrick Campbell partnered Liam McCrohan in defence in the absence of Sacha M’Baye after illness ruled out Azeez Alabi on the morning of the game. Festus Lori was preferred to Luke Holness for his first start, while there was a full debut for Luke Nugent at right-back. There was also a return for goalkeeper Joe Ringer, who was unavailable for the midweek Senior Cup win.

Woods went close to taking an early lead as a upfield punt from Ringer found Lori who played in Harry Lodovica whose fierce shot was turned onto the crossbar by visiting keeper Oliver Pain. However, Northwood’s frustration at being denied an opening goal was compounded as Chipstead took a tenth minute lead as a quick break ended with Sam Bell arriving at the far post to fire the ball home.

The Chips kept up the pressure on Northwood and they went close to adding a second as Michak Stanic-Stewart shot narrowly wide while at the other end, Charlie Hayford wasn’t far away with a shot which cleared the visitors’ crossbar.

But it was Chipstead who proceeded to dominate as they created a succession of chances as Bell, Kyen Nicholas and Tom Collins all went close to extending the lead. And the one-way traffic continued as Nicholas was denied by Ringer, before the same player saw his scooped shot rebound off the Northwood crossbar after a goalmouth scramble following a corner.

Woods were battling hard to stay in the contest without making much of an impression in attack, a McCrohan header wide from Hayford’s free-kick the closest the hosts came to scoring before the half-time break.

Woods came out unchanged for the second period, but they found themselves with a steeper mountain to climb as they conceded a second goal on 55 minutes, Ringer being caught out of position as he looked to clear on the edge of his box with Collins being presented with an easy finish.

Northwood made a change as Lori made way for Holness and the hosts worked a good opening for Kingsley Eshun but his shot lacked the necessary power to trouble keeper Pain. But any hopes Woods may have harboured for getting back in the contest were shattered as Chipstead scored a third goal on 69 minutes, Nicholas jinking his way through the home defence and despatching his shot beyond Ringer.

Northwood utilised their remaining substitutes as Kiye Martin and  Chris Gosling  were introduced for Lodovica and Jaiden Irish while in between the substitutions, Nugent headed wide of the Chipstead goal. Unfortunately Woods never really threatened for the remainder of the match and the Chips should have increased their lead as a misunderstanding on the edge of the box between Ringer and McCrohan presented Nicholas with the easiest of chances but he rolled his shot wide of the unguarded net.

The final whistle couldn’t come quick enough for Northwood, although Pain had to be alert in stoppage time as Hayford’s long range free-kick bounced awkwardly in front of the Chipstead stopper who helped the ball over the crossbar. But the visitors’ goal remained intact and Northwood were left to reflect on another fruitless afternoon, giving manager Leacock much to ponder.