Woods go out in driving wind and rain
  Tuesday 14th January 2020

Middlesex Senior Cup




Click image to view programme





Robin Piper


Bedfont Sports 1
Northwood 0

1 Jamie Stephens  
2 Bradley Kauzeni  
3 Mack Miskin (79m)  
4 Charlie Malin  
5 Matt Hall  
6 Azeez Alabi  
7 Luke Holness  
8 Charlie Hayford ¬©  
9 Recoe Martin  
10 Marley Hamilton  
11 Festus Lori (79m)  
12 Jordan Payne  
14 Enock Ekongo (79m)  
15 Harry Lodovica (79m)  
16 Yashwa Romeo  
17 Chris Rackley  
BEDFONT: Dimitrios Kyriatzis, Imran Uche, Brandon Kalu, Michael Kinsella, Brian Testolin, Ricky Wellard, Ezekiel Bademosi (Darryl Sanders 59m), Maxwell Oldham, Lucas Sinclair (Andy Ali 59m), Mekhail McLaughlin (Jayden Clarke 72m), Joe Jackson  

Northwood were unable to repeat their Velocity Trophy win over Bedfont Sports as they lost by the single goal on an evening of driving wind and rain at Hatton Road.

Woods manager Jamie Leacock was forced to make changes in central defence, with Matt Hall forming a new partnership with Azeez Alabi in the absence of the injured Jordan Payne and the cup-tied Dominic Rhone while Bradley Kauzeni returned a right-back. Behind them was the former Barnet goalkeeper Jamie Stephens, who has been training with Woods as he looks to restart his career following a long-term injury. There was also a new look to the Northwood attack with the returning Marley Hamilton partnering 18-year-old Recoe Martin.

With the wind behind them, Bedfont gave Woods a stern test in the early stages as they attacked with pace and verve on their 3G pitch. Stephens produced a couple of smart saves to deny Brian Testolin while Charlie Malin cleared another effort off the Northwood line.

And it was no surprise that Bedfont took the lead on 21 minutes as Testolin applied the finish to a swift counter-attack.

The hosts continued to dominate proceedings, with Stephens being called upon once more as he saved well from Ezekiel Bademosi.

Woods had stood up to a severe examination and they gradually began to give the hosts something to think about, Festus Lori finding some joy on the left wing before his cross-shot was gathered by goalkeeper Dimitrios Kyriaztis.

Woods proceeded  to work some useful positions but their lack of penetration in the final third was on show again, as Luke Holness ended a jinking run by shooting wide before Hamilton was unable to capitalise when a Charlie Hayford corner fell to him in the six-yard box.

And Northwood went close to levelling on the stroke of half-time as Lori met Charlie Malin's cross but his close range shot was deflected wide.

Woods looked to make the wind advantage count after the interval and a wind assisted Charlie Hayford free-kick whistled past the upright.

Northwood continued to keep Bedfont on the back foot, with Lori's cross just evading Martin in a useful position.
Bedfont utilised all their substitutes and they began to make some headway in face of the relentless wind, Stephens on hand again to deny replacements Jayden Clarke and Andy Ali.

Woods made a double substitution on 79 minutes, with Harry Lodovica and Enock Ekongo replacing Lori and Kauzeni. And Lodovica went close with a sweetly struck 25-yard effort while former Wood Imran Uche was on hand to deny Holness following Hamilton's cross.

However, despite their credible efforts, Northwood lacked the necessary guile to break down the Bedfont backline and it was the hosts who proceeded to progress to the semi-finals of the county's premier cup competition.