Stoppage time o.g. wins it for Woods
  Tuesday 24th September 2019

Velocity Trophy
Group 8




Robin Piper   
James Brown


Bedfont Sports 2
Northwood 3

1 James Hoskins  
2 Karl Stevenson (58m)  
3 Matt Cooper  
4 Jaiden Irish  
5 Patrick Campbell  
6 Liam McCrohan  
7 Charlie Hayford  
8 Chris Gosling (51m)  
9 Kingsley Eshun (68m)  
10 Harry Lodovica (77m)  
11 Alex Witham  
12 Kirk McPherson (51m)  
14 Luke Nugent (58m)  
15 Isaac Ebelebe (77m)  
16 Kweku Lucan (68m)  
17 Rob Partington  
BEDFONT: Harry Churchill, Adrian Tache (Darryl Sanders 58m), Paul Johnson, Jordan Aghatise (Veron Kokurinkov 69m), Michael Kinsella, Mekhail McLaughlin, Sean Frazer, Charlie Malin, Ezekiel Bademosi (Didi Ndombe 76m), Brandon McCarthy (Keanu Williams 59m), John Roberts (Jayden Clarke 59m)  

Northwood kept alive their hopes of progressing to the knockout stages of the Velocity Trophy with a last gasp win on the 3G surface at rain-sodden Hatton Road. Woods were keen to get back to action having had a free Saturday following their first league win of the season over Staines but manager Scott Dash was forced to make a few changes as he set up with a diamond formation.

Karl Stevenson returned at right-back with Patrick Campbell moving into central defence to cover for the suspended Andrew Tirivanhu, while Chris Gosling replaced the unavailable Dan Pett in midfield. There was also a change up front as Kingsley Eshun returned to spearhead the Woods attack with Kweku Lucan reverting to the bench as he nursed a slight knock.

Northwood were quickly out of the blocks with Eshun worrying the home defence before Alex Witham went close with a couple of efforts. And Woods didn't have to wait long for the opening goal as Eshun timed his run perfectly to meet Matt Cooper's low cross to open his account with 12 minutes on the clock.

Eshun went close again as he stretched to meet Witham's floated cross to the far post, the ball just evading the on-rushing striker. And Northwood should have increased their lead as Charlie Hayford and Harry Lodovica combined to create the opening for Gosling who side-footed his effort over the bar with the goal at his mercy.

Having survived falling further behind, Bedfont began to find their feet as goalkeeper James Hoskins dealt with a low shot from Brandon McCarthy before Sean Frazer tried his luck with a shot from distance.

However, Woods were soon back on the attack and another slick move saw Gosling play a delightful ball through to Witham who swept the ball home for his fourth goal of the season to increase the lead on 25 minutes.

But having extended their advantage, Woods seemed to take their foot off the pedal and Bedfont reduced the arrears on 34 minutes when Ezekiel Bademosi got beyond the Woods backline before despatching an unstoppable shot past Hoskins. And Bedfont continued to ask questions for the remainder of the half as Hoskins was called upon to deny Charlie Malin and McCarthy, while Frazer wasn't far away with a volley from the edge of the box.

Woods would need to up their game in the second half and they nearly made the perfect start as the quick thinking Hayford almost embarrassed Harry Churchill in the Bedfont goal with a quickly taken long range free-kick, the ball flying narrowly wide.

The game was opening up with chances being created at both ends, Hoskins saving well from McCarthy while Lodovica went on a surging run before squaring to Witham, who seemed to get too good a connection as the ball was gathered up by Churchill.

Woods made a couple of changes as Kirk McPherson was introduced for his first appearance in place of Gosling while Karl Stevenson made way for Luke Nugent and Northwood continued to threaten as Hayford shot narrowly over after good work from Witham.

Lucan replaced Eshun on 68 minutes as Woods switched to a more familiar 4-3-3 formation as they looked to put the game beyond Bedfont, but they were indebted to Hoskins who produced a smart save to deny substitute Darryl Sanders.

Lucan was quickly into the action as he combined with Hayford but his shot flew wide of the target. Woods made their fourth substitution to match the hosts – five are allowed in the competition – with another new signing in the shape of Issac Ebelebe replacing Lodovica.

But Northwood were made to rue the their missed chances as Keanu Williams equalised on 78 minutes with a strike from the edge of the box. Bedfont were looking the more threatening as Woods seemed to lose their way in the increasingly torrential rain, Jayden Clarke the next to go close.

However, having survived a succession of swift Bedfont attacks Woods had a wonderful chance to win the game as Lucan found himself one on one with Churchill but the home stopper was equal to the challenge.

Both sides were desperately seeking a winner as the contest moved in to stoppage time. Hoskins pulled off another save to foil Frazer but at the other end, Hayford fed Witham, whose low cross was turned into his own net by the unfortunate Veron Kokurinkov to decide matters in the fourth minute of added time.