Northwood’s barren run continues
  Saturday 11th January 2020

Isthmian League
South Central

Click image to view programme




Robin Piper   
James Brown


Barking 2
Northwood 1

1 Chris Rackley  
2 Matt Hall  
3 Mack Miskin  
4 Charlie Malin  
5 Jordan Payne (87m)  
6 Dominic Rhone  
7 Luke Holness  
8 Charlie Hayford ©  
9 Ronny Mfinda (79m)  
10 Festus Lori  
11 Max Holland (79m)  
12 Azeez Alibi (87m)  
14 Oladimeji Olajubu (79m)  
15 Eric Lopes  
16 Harry Lodovica (79m)  
17 Recoe Martin  
BARKING: Montel Joseph, Ricky Tarbard, Tyrone Kirunda, Sam Owusu , Daniel Flemming , Joe Bruce, Johnny Ashman (Michael Dixon 62m), Abs Seymour, Dumebi GB-Dumaka, Shermandin Artmeladze (Giovanni Palmer 83m), Steven Sardinha (Junior Dadson 71m)  

Northwood’s barren run continues after they suffered a fifth successive league defeat by conceding two goals in the final six minutes on their first visit to Mayesbrook Park since 2003.

There were changes to the Woods’ team once again, with another dual-registration signing from Hayes & Yeading United, Matt Hall, replacing the suspended Bradley Kauzeni at right-back. There was also a start for Festus Lori on the right wing, whilst the recently returned Max Holland started on the opposite flank.

The windy conditions and bumpy surface suggested that quality football might be at a premium on a grey day in East London and so it was in the early stages. Northwood briefly threatened as Holland had a run and cross to the near post which was put behind for a corner with Luke Holness in attendance while the hosts saw a Sheri Artmeladze shot fly across the face of goal before Tyrone Kirunda sent a long range effort wide of the target.

Woods finally mustered a shot in anger on the half-hour mark as Ronny Mfinda latched onto Mack Miskin’s through-ball but the shot from the edge of the box cleared the Barking crossbar.

The Blues were equally ineffective in a poor first half with Northwood goalkeeper Chris Rackley largely redundant, the interception of  a low cross from Johnny Ashman a rare moment of action for the Woods stopper.

Northwood had the wind at their backs for the start of the second period and they began to enjoy some territorial advantage which resulted in them taking the lead on 51 minutes with their first league goal since early December. Northwood won a corner which was delivered with pace by skipper Charlie Hayford and met by the diving Hall who sent his header beyond former Woods ‘keeper Montel Joseph.

Woods were buoyed by the goal and the confident Hayford tried his luck from distance but Joseph was on hand to gather the shot.

Barking finally shook themselves from their slumber and began to ask questions of the Northwood defence, Rackley quickly out to smother the danger as Artmeladze looked to latch onto Ashman’s quickly taken free-kick.

The Blues continued to press as they forced a series of corners but the Northwood backline stood firm with Jordan Payne and Dominic Rhone looking increasingly assured in central defence.

Holland made way for Harry Lodovica on 65 minutes as Northwood looked to freshen up the attack in search of another  goal to secure three precious and they should have done so as Hayford played in Holness but the shot was straight at Joseph.

Woods made a second substitution, with debutant Oladimeji Olajubi replacing Mfinda, but the action switched to the other end as Barking looked to get back on equal terms. And Barking’s wishes were granted with Northwood self-destructing as they conceded two goals. The first came after a poor piece of game management as Woods conceded from a corner on 84 minutes.

Jordan Payne went down injured as the corner was conceded but there appeared to be a breakdown in communication between the bench and physio as Payne received treatment which led to Woods having to try and defend the corner a defender short and with an ideal replacement in substitute Azeez Alabi waiting to come on. The inevitable happened as substitute Michael Dixon converted.

And salt was added to the wound three minutes later with Alabi having entered the fray, as another Barking replacement in Junior Dadson fired a low shot into the far corner of the net to complete the turnaround for the hosts.

Tough on Northwood but totally self-inflicted, the defeat meaning they remain fourth from bottom a point ahead of Staines Town and  FC Romania who opened up a three point gap on bottom-placed Ashford Town after the two met in the proverbial “six-pointer”.