WESTFIELD FC   Saturday 6th October 2018   NORTHWOOD FC

Bostik League South Central

  Westfield 1 Northwood 2  

Carder-Andrews 66

Nyariki 54, 88

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Gary Ross     1 Luke Sheldrick
2 John Oyenuga     2 Sam Jenkins
3 Adam Bellmaine     3 Matt Cooper
4 Louie Downey (80m)     4 Stefan Powell
5 Matt Steer     5 Daniel Newton
6 Jahmal King     6 Carl Pearce © 
7 Tinashe Nkoma (82m)     7 Kweku Conrad-Lucan
8 George Frith     8 Chris Gosling (23m)
9 Daryl Cooper-Smith (73m)     9 Ned Clarke
10 Karle Carder-Andrews     10 Cameron Ferguson (75m)
11 Arron Watson     11 Miguel Matos (84m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 William Efambe (73m)     12 Keir Dickson (75m)
14 Leavan Sullivan     14 Hakim Nyariki (23m)
15 Qudus Bolaji (80m)     15 Antoine Akinola (84m)
16 T'Sharne Gallimore     16 Karl Stevenson
17 Jason Dwumfuo (82m)     17 Kyran Worrell



Referee: Jamaal Horne; Assts: Nick Blogg & Andrew Senior



  REPORT by Robin Piper    PHOTOS by James Brown  



Super-sub Hakim Nyariki was the unlikely goal scoring hero for Northwood with two strikes as they returned from their first ever trip to Woking Park with three points on a wet afternoon in Surrey.

Manager Dean Barker was forced to make a number of changes to the team that battled so bravely against Ware the previous week. Woods were dealt a blow in midweek with the departure of leading scorer James Ewington, Ned Clarke returning to the starting line-up as the lone striker with Alex Morgan having been recalled by Boreham Wood. Daniel Newton made his first start as he replaced the suspended Sam Tring in central defence while Kweku Lucan and Miguel Lopes de Matos occupying the wide midfield berths in place of the suspended Emmanuel Melford-Rowe and the injured Zaied Sabti. There was also a return to the starting line-up for midfielder Chris Gosling.

The match was slow to ignite with both sides struggling to find their rhythm in the wet conditions although Lucan was finding some space for Northwood as he got round the back of the home defence but with no end product before he fired a half-volley at goalkeeper Gary Ross as he latched onto a Matos cross. Woods were forced into a change with only 19 minutes on the clock as Gosling’s return was cut short with another ankle problem, Nyariki his replacement in midfield.

The hosts had been pretty quiet up to that point but they worked themselves into a useful position through Tinashe Nkoma but he slipped at the crucial moment and was unable to get any purchase on his shot.

Woods were enjoying plenty of possession with Matos linking up well with Matt Cooper down the left flank but they were struggling to create any real chances. However, there was an opportunity as Cameron Ferguson’s corner found the head of Carl Pearce but the Northwood skipper was unable to get a clean connection. At the other end, Louie Downey tried his luck from distance before Matt Steer headed wide as Westfield enjoyed their best spell as the half-time break approached.

Woods would be hoping to up their game in the second half and they started brightly as they forced a corner with Cooper sending over the delivery for Newton to head into the arms of keeper Ross. And Ross was forced into action once again as he turned a Matos post round the post after good work from Ferguson.

Northwood maintained their improved level of performance and they were rewarded by taking the lead on 54 minutes as Nyariki timed his run to perfection to convert Cooper’s near post corner to record his first goal for the club.

Westfield were struggling to make an impression against a well-drilled Northwood, with goalkeeper Luke Sheldrick continuing to enjoy a quiet afternoon. But things changed as a poor refereeing decision brought the hosts back into the game as they were awarded a penalty for a dubious handball against Stefan Powell, Carle Karder-Andrews stepping up to convert from the spot on 66 minutes.
Westfield were encouraged by their good fortune and they went close to taking the lead as George Frith’s chipped shot found the back stanchion.

Woods made a couple of substitutions as they looked to gather themselves for the latter stages, Kier Dickson replacing Ferguson while Antoine Akinola was introduced for Matos. And both substitutes combined as Dickson played the ball into the path of Akinola, whose fierce shot was saved by Ross with the follow up shot wide of the target.

However, Northwood were not to be denied as Clarke saw his shot parried by Ross and Nyariki was on hand to sweep the rebound into the net to restore the lead with two minutes of normal time left on the clock.

Westfield looked to respond as the contest moved into  added time with Aaron Watson having a shot deflected for a corner and substitute Jason Dwumfuo seeing his header collected by Sheldrick. With five minutes of added time having been played, Westfield had another opportunity through Jahmal King but his close range shot rolled the wrong side of the upright. And with that came the final whistle enabling Northwood to celebrate a fully deserved second away win of the season and moving them up to seventh in the table.