Saturday 12th January 2019


Bostik League, South Central

  Waltham Abbey 0  Northwood 1  


Pett 45+1

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Lamar Johnson     1 Luke Sheldrick
2 Junior Appiah     2 Sam Jenkins (85m)
3 Rimmell Daniel (90m)     3 Miguel Matos
4 Germaine Dua     4 Leigh Stevens
5 Ross Dedman     5 Imran Uche
6 Sammy Knott (60m)     6 Carl Pearce © 
7 Ellis Brown     7 Dan Pett (81m)
8 Billy Holland     8 Chris Gosling
9 Christian Assombalonga     9 Tremayne Charles
10 Timothy Ogunrinde     10 Jabir Laraba
11 Jack Stevenson     11 Kyran Worrell (77m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Ricky Brennan     12 Jon Munday (77m)
14 Harry Agombar (60m)     14 Dan Newton (85m)
15 Tyler Dolan (90m)     15 Kweku Lucan
16 -     16 Zaied Sabti (81m)
17 -     17 -



Referee: Ian Stewart; Assts: Harry Tarrant & Nicholas Fuller




  REPORT by Robin Piper    PHOTOS by James Brown  



Northwood put their losing run behind them with a first win in six games as they deservedly overcame play-offs chasing Waltham Abbey in a hard fought contest at Capershotts.

Manager Scott Dash decided to revert to the 4-3-3 formation that had borne fruit in earlier games which meant a recall for Kyran Worrell on the right wing, Dan Pett and Leigh Stevens returning to the midfield and  Zaied Sabti reverting to the bench. Kieran Asumadu-Sayki and Hakim Nyariki were also missing from the Woods midfield, the latter after his unfortunate leg fracture, while defender Dan Newton started as substitute.

Northwood made a bright start to proceedings and they immediately threatened as Jabir Laraba looked to get on the end of Worrell’s through-ball but was denied by  home keeper Lamar Johnson. Woods continued their positive start with a series of incisive moves, Tremayne Charles having a shot charged down after combining with Stevens before Pett went close with curling effort which narrowly cleared the far post.

The Abbott’s briefly threatened as Timothy Ogunrinde shot into the side-netting but Woods were soon back on the attack with Worrell getting to the by-line and pulling the ball back to Charles who helped the ball onto Laraba but his shot was blocked.

Worrell was proving to be a handful for the home defence, and he was involved again as he latched onto Laraba’s lobbed pass into the box but the ball wouldn’t come down quick enough for the flying winger and the chance was gone. And another slick Northwood move involving Sam Jenkins and Pett ended with Worrell seeing his shot crash against the crossbar with Johnson beaten.

However, all the good work of the opening quarter was almost undone as Northwood switched off and keeper Luke Sheldrick was left stranded as he was rounded by Ogunrinde, who squared the ball to Christian Assombalonga for a simple tap-in but the latter somehow shot wide of the empty net.

The hosts looked to rectify their missed opportunity and they proceeded to but Northwood on the backfoot with Ellis Brown and Jack Stevenson going close before Imran Uche denied Ogunrinde with a last-ditch block, Ross Dedman finding the side-netting from the following corner.

Having stood firm, Northwood looked for a strong finish to a good opening period as Laraba saw his free-kick saved by Johnson before the Woods striker was foiled once again as the home keeper turned his shot round the upright.

But Woods were not to be denied, and they deservedly took the lead in the first minute of added time, Sheldrick’s goal-kick eventually finding its way to Pett, whose shot from the edge of the box beat Johnson at his near post despite getting a hand on it. But there was still time at the end of an entertaining first half for the hosts to threaten an equaliser, Sheldrick dealing with a Stevenson shot.

After Northwood forced a corner early in the second half following Charles’ deflected shot, the visitors inevitably had some defending to do as the hosts looked to get back into the contest. Assombalonga saw his shot deflected wide, Sheldrick saved from Germaine Dua, whilst Stevenson’s cross-shot skimmed off the Woods crossbar.

The Abbotts continued to press but the Northwood backline, superbly marshalled by skipper Carl Pearce, stood up to the test, while Sheldrick was on hand once again to parry an effort from overlapping fullback Junior Appiah.

Northwood made a change on 75 minutes with Worrell being replaced by defender Jonathan Munday as the visitors looked to reinforce the backline, while Zaied Sabti was introduced for Dan Pett with ten minutes left on the clock.

Woods remained strong as the hosts launched a series of increasingly desperate attacks, with Newton replacing Jenkins for the closing minutes. And as the hosts seemed to run out of ideas it was Northwood who went close to adding a second, Sabti not being far away with a 25 yard free-kick before Gosling and Laraba combined to create an opening for Charles in stoppage time, but the latter was crowded out at the near post.

However, Northwood had done enough and they were able to celebrate their fifth league victory on the road this season and to reflect on a performance full of character which puts them in good stead for a similarly tough trip next Saturday away to in-form Ware.