Saturday 9th February 2019


Bostik League, South Central

  Tooting & Mitcham 1  Northwood 1  

Khan 43

Jenkins 51

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Morgan Campbell     1 Luke Sheldrick
2 Ajani Domingo-Carrington     2 Sam Jenkins (77m)
3 Peter Wedgeworth     3 Miguel Matos
4 Eddie Dines (60m)     4 Yahya El-Khabouche
5 Antonio Simeone     5 Imran Uche
6 Lexus Beeden     6 Carl Pearce © 
7 Dominic Morgan-Griffiths     7 Leigh Stevens
8 Saidou Khan     8 Dan Pett
9 Isaiah Jones (73m)     9 Kweku Lucan
10 Stefan Ilic (74m)     10 Alex Witham
11 Hady Ghandour     11 Tremayne Charles (64m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Danny Bassett (60m)     12 Chris Gosling
14 Sam Folarin (73m)     14 Kyran Worrell (64m)
15 Idris Kalokoh     15 Jabir Laraba
16 Leon Lalor-Dell     16 Dan Newton (77m)
17 Jordan Wilson (74m)     17 Kieran Asumadu-Sakyi



Referee: Daniel Simpson; Assts: Ahmad Rafique & Chris Fernandes



  REPORT by Robin Piper    PHOTOS by James Brown  



Northwood showed a resilience on their travels once again by gaining a well-deserved point against play-off hopefuls Tooting & Mitcham.

Manager Scott Dash rang the changes with Leigh Stevens, Yahya El-Khabouche and Dan Pett all returning to the Woods midfield in place of Kieran Asumadu-Sakyi, Chris Gosling and Zaied Sabti. There was a new face in attack with debutant Alex Witham replacing Andrew Ofosu following his switch from Leverstock Green, while Sam Jenkins resumed his right-back role with Dan Newton reverting to the bench.

Northwood made a bright start and had the best of the opening twenty minutes. Twice Tremayne Charles was denied by Terrors goalkeeper Morgan Campbell, skipper Carl Pearce saw his header deflected for a corner and Pett's close-range effort was deflected wide.

Northwood keeper Luke Sheldrick was finally called into action on the half-hour as he dealt comfortably with Sadou Khan's low shot.

Woods were soon back on the offensive with Witham having a far post header cleared following Kweku Lucan's cross before Miguel Matos saw his long-range shot fly narrowly wide. At the other end, the Northwood defence dealt with a surging run and cross from the lively Khan.

Woods needed something to show for their first half dominance and Charles saw another shot gathered by Campbell after good work from Witham, before the latter had a shot blocked after El Kabouche and  Matos had combined to create the opening.

But Northwood suffered the sucker-punch as the Terrors took the lead against the run of play on 44 minutes, Khan latching onto Antonio Simeone's long ball from the back and shooting inside Sheldrick's near post.

Woods came out for the second period in determined fashion and Witham, who was enjoying a fine debut, saw his first time effort parried by Campbell before another shot was charged down by the home defence.

But Northwood finally found a way past Campbell as they drew level on 51 minutes, Jenkins heading home from a Stevens free-kick for his third goal of the season.

Woods maintained the pressure as Witham saw his  fierce 20-yard shot tipped over the bar while Pearce had a header from a Charles corner deflected off the line.

The hosts briefly threatened as Stefan Ilic almost capitalised on some rare hesitation in the Northwood defence, but the visitors were soon asking questions again as the impressive Jenkins combined with Witham before rolling the ball narrowly wide off his weaker left foot.

Charles made way for substitute Kyran Worrell while the tiring Jenkins was replaced by Dan Newton. And Northwood  had a great chance to take the lead as Lucan was played in by Witham but the winger's shot cannoned off Campbell's legs.

The impressive Northwood rearguard continued to quash any Terrors threat and Woods looked the most likely winner as the contest moved into the closing stages. Pett pulled the ball back for Worrell in the six-yard box but the latter was unable to force the ball home before Worrell sent over a hanging cross which just evaded the waiting Pett, Northwood unable to secure the win their performance deserved.