Saturday 27th April 2019


Bostik League, South Central

  Molesey 0  Northwood 1  


Witham 76

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Liam Allen     1 Rob Partington
2 Ashby Charles     2 Kyran Worrell (69m)
3 Chevron McLean     3 Matt Cooper
4 Craig Lewington (46m)     4 Yahya El-Khabouche
5 Sacha M'Baye     5 Dan Newton
6 Ryan David     6 Carl Pearce © 
7 Tom Windsor (46m)     7 Dan Pett
8 Ryan Marklew     8 Chris Gosling (78m)
9 Dre Grobler (46m)     9 Ben Pattie (75m)
10 Nicolas Osborne     10 Alex Witham
11 Ashley Lodge     11 Trey Charles
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Ross Chalke (46m)     12 Miguel Matos (69m)
14 Marley Hamilton (46m)     14 Kerran Lataille (78m)
15 Anthony Kozakis (46m)     15 Jabir Laraba (75m)
16 Chris Wales     16 -
17 Alex Kozakis     17 -



Referee: Jamal Horne; Assts: Chimango Gondwe & Ahmad Rafique




  REPORT by Robin Piper   
PHOTOS by Ed Boyden



Northwood ended the season on a high with a much needed win to secure a top ten finish, a result which sadly meant relegation for the Moles.

Manager Scott Dash opted to stick with the 3-5-2 formation but there was a change of personnel from the Marlow defeat. Matt Cooper returned to the defence at the expense of Miguel Matos while Kyran Worrell replaced the unavailable Sam Jenkins at right wing-back. Yayha El-Khabouche and Chris Gosling returned to the midfield in place of Kerran Lataille and injured Zaied Sabti while Jabir Laraba made way for Alex Witham in attack.

After the hosts spurned an early opportunity as Sacha Mbaya hooked wide from player-manager Craig Lewington's free-kick, Ben Pattie and El-Khabouche had shots saved by Molesey keeper Liam Allen before Tremayne Charles dragged his across the face of goal.

The Moles had a couple of long-range efforts that failed to trouble Rob Partington in the Northwood goal and Woods were soon back on the offensive as Allen produced a point blank save to keep out a Charles header from Pattie's cross.

The hosts gradually began to find their feet and they began to ask questions of the Northwood defence. The lively Nic Osborne went close before a cross-shot from the same player was awkwardly parried by Partington resulting in an injured thumb which was later found to have suffered a fracture.

The Moles continued to press as Woods seemed to lose their way towards half-time after a bright start, the referee waving away appeals for a penalty as Ashby Charles went down too easily under a challenge from Gosling.

Molesey were immediately on the attack following the half-time break as Osborne fired a shot into the arms of Partington before Ryan Marklew headed over from another Lewington free-kick. While at the other end, Pattie combined with Witham to set up Worrell who fired over from the edge of the box.

The Moles were looking increasingly dangerous with their situation looking more promising with the news that relegation rivals Hertford Town were losing at Bedfont Sports. And Molesey continued to create chances  as Partington denied Osborne with a smart save before Marklew headed wide from substitute Marley Hamilton's cross.

Northwood made a change with 20 minutes remaining as they switched to a flat back four with Worrell making way for Matos. And Molesey kept up the pressure as Osborne shot into the side-netting before Partington produced a stunning double save to deny Ryan David and Marklew.

Woods made another substitution as Laraba replaced Pattie to add some fresh legs in attack on 75 minutes. And Molesey hearts were broken a minute later as Woods took the lead against the run of play as Witham converted the loose ball following Cooper's run and cross for the striker's sixth league goal after joining the club in February.

The strike inevitably took the wind out of Molesey's sails and after Woods had made a final substitution as Lataille replaced Gosling, Witham went close again with a curling effort from the edge of the box.

However, Molesey gathered themselves for a final push with substitute Ross Chalke and Ashley Lodge going close while Witham almost scored a spectacular second from the halfway line as his effort cannoned off the post with keeper Allen stranded.

But it wasn't to be for the Moles, who had one last chance deep in stoppage time, but Hamilton's free-kick was deflected wide. The curtain finally came down on the season amid unsavoury scenes as unnecessary goading of Chev McLean by Northwood's  El-Khabouche at the final whistle led to an on pitch melee and the Molesey player receiving a red card. A sour note to end a highly satisfactory season for Northwood on their return to the Isthmian League