Saturday 29th December 2018


Bostik League, South Central

  Marlow 3  Northwood 0  

Bell 20, Richards 39,
Mealing 80


Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Simon Grant     1 Luke Sheldrick
2 Curtis Chapple (77m)     2 Sam Jenkins
3 Isaac Olorunfemi     3 Dan Newton (60m)
4 Chris Ovenden     4 Imran Uche
5 Adam Richards     5 Jon Munday (72m)
6 Louis Rogers     6 Carl Pearce © 
7 Devontae Romeo     7 Hakim Nyariki
8 Junaid Bell     8 Chris Gosling (76m)
9 James Clark     9 Andrew Ofosu
10 Charlie Samuel (57m)     10 Dan Pett
11 Allen Bossman (84m)     11 Max Holland
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Idris Kamara (77m)     12 Miguel Matos (60m)
14 Paolo Giamattei     14 Kieran Asumadu-Sakyi
15 Tristan Campbell     15 Leigh Stevens (76m)
16 Marcus Mealing (57m)     16 Kweku Lucan
17 Kelvin Bossman (84m)     17 Jabir Laraba (72m)



Referee: Tom Ellsmore; Assts: Adam Parry & Thomas Moisey



  REPORT by Robin Piper    PHOTOS by James Brown  



Northwood had an afternoon to forget as they finished 2018 with a defeat at the Alfred Davis Memorial Ground.

Manager Scott Dash decided to continue with a 3-5-2 formation but there was a change to the wing-backs with Sam Jenkins coming back in on the right, Dan Newton switching to the left and Miguel Matos reverting to the bench. There was also a late change in attack as Kweku Lucan pulled up in the warm up, Max Holland returning to partner Andrew Ofosu, while Hakim Nyariki replaced Leigh Stevens in midfield.

Both teams struggled to make an impact in the early stages on a lumpy playing surface which was unconducive to flowing football, Ofosu shooting wide on the turn for the visitors before Chris Ovenden was off target for the hosts.

But it was Marlow who opened the scoring after twenty uninspiring minutes, Junaid Bell firing in a long-range half- volley beyond the reach of Luke Sheldrick in the Northwood goal.

Sheldrick was almost caught out moments later as a speculative Charlie Samuel shot from distance had the Woods' custodian frantically back-pedalling before tipping the effort over the crossbar.

But Sheldrick was unable to prevent Marlow increasing their lead on 39 minutes as Northwood failed to deal with an Allen Bossman corner, Adam Richards the quickest to react as he headed home after the ball deflected off the crossbar.

The second period continued in a similarly scrappy vein, with little in the way of attractive football from either side with long range efforts the order of the day.

Newton made way for Matos just before the hour-mark as Woods looked to get back in the game and Ofosu saw his close-range shot gathered by keeper Simon Grant.

Jabir Laraba entered the fray for Northwood on 73 minutes as Munday made way and the visitors were beginning to find some attacking cohesion as Ofosu sent a half-volley over the target.

Woods played their last card when Stevens replaced Chris Gosling in midfield and they should have reduced the arrears but Ofosu directed his close-range header straight at keeper Grant following good work from Holland.

That was the last meaningful chance for Northwood, and the cap was put on their disappointing afternoon as Sheldrick was caught napping by Marcus Mealing who rolled the ball into an empty net to compete the scoring in the 80th minute.