NORTHWOOD FC   Saturday 25th August 2018  



Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round

  Northwood 3  Longlevens 1   

Pattie 15, Ewington 48, 74

Campbell 68

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Luke Sheldrick     1 Ash Wintle
2 Karl Stevenson     2 Tommy Callinan (46m)
3 Matt Cooper     3 Rhys Lewis (62m)
4 Hakim Nyariki     4 Kieron Squires
5 Sam Tring     5 Ed Smylie
6 Carl Pearce ©      6 Myron Turner
7 Kweku Conrad-Lucan     7 Craig Martin
8 Wilson Chingoka (82m)     8 Dave Rich © (75m)
9 Ben Pattie (70m)     9 Adam Philip
10 James Ewington (86m)     10 Shaun O'Connor
11 Emmanuel Melford-Rowe
    11 James Campbell
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Ned Clarke (86m)      12 Jonty Welch (75m) 
14 Ben Andreos     14 Luke Kavanagh (46m) 
15 Keir Dickson (70m)      15 James Barnett
16 Miguel Matos     16 Harry Emmett
17 Tom Massey     17 Logan Roach (62m) 
18 Chris Gosling (82m)      18 Ollie Long
19 Sam Jenkins     19 -


  Referee: Colman O'Meara
Assts: Andreas Demetriades & Lawrence Attoh
  REPORT by Alan Evans   PHOTOS by James Brown    

The Woods moved into the first qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup for the first time since 2015 with this comfortable victory over Hellenic League side Longlevens who never really got into their stride at Northwood Park. Manager Dean Barker gave Matt Cooper his first start at left-back with Miguel Lopes De Matos given a rest while Emmanuel Melford-Rowe returned to the starting line-up to replace Jorome Slew, who was unavailable.

And the Woods made a strong start, quickly putting their opponents on the back foot with goalkeeper Ash Wintle in early action to save from James Ewington and Melford-Rowe. Then, after just fifteen minutes, Sam Tring’s pass forward was headed away by a defender to Ben Pattie almost forty yards from goal. The Woods striker netted his first competitive goal of the season with an instinctive left-footed half-volley which caught Wintle too far off his line and flew in to give the Northwood the lead.

The pressure continued with the home side enjoying plenty of possession while their visitors rarely threatened to break into the final third but chances were few and far between for the Woods until the final five minutes of the half. On 39 minutes there was a great chance for Pattie to net his second goal, receiving the ball unmarked in the area but this time he steered his shot over the crossbar.

Just before the break Ewington turned provider with a good ball wide to Kweku Lucan on the right. He cut in but then took his shot a touch too early and Wintle was able to make a good save at his near post.

The second half was only three minutes old when Northwood grabbed a vital second goal. Wilson Chingoka provided the perfect through-ball that allowed Ewington to get first run on the Longlevens defence and he steered his shot neatly past Wintle and inside the post to double the home side’s advantage.

Karl Stevenson was having a great game at right-back and enjoyed a fine run out of defence, skipping challenges and racing to the edge of the box but his strike was kept out by the diving Wintle.

It was after 68 minutes that the visitors were gifted a lifeline. Chingoka lost out to Shaun O’Connor in midfield and in trying to win the ball back he clumsily bundled into him just inside the box with the Referee pointing to the spot. James Campbell made no mistake from the penalty, slamming the ball into the top corner.

It seemed to give Longlevens a bit of self-belief that had been lacking and both O‘Connor and Adam Philip found space for shots at goal in the next few minutes but neither forced goalkeeper Luke Sheldrick into action.

Then, the Woods surged forward again and after Ewington’s flick came back off the crossbar on 72 minutes, just two minutes later it was all over. Melford-Rowe fed a ball to Ewington just outside the box and his sharp turn and low shot was accurately arrowed into the bottom corner of Wintle’s goal who couldn’t get his hands to it. It was the striker’s sixth goal in three games so far this season.

There were introductions as substitutes for the two most recent signings – Keir Dickson and Ned Clarke; who replaced the two goalscorers – and both got involved. Dickson had a jinking, attacking run that got him into the area but with no end product while Clarke latched onto a goalkeeping error but his shot flashed past the goal.

Longlevens almost finished the game with a second consolation goal as substitute Jonty Welch hit a good strike from the left which flew across goal and ricocheted off of the far post and out to safety. So the Woods continued with their 100% successful start to the season and move into the draw for the next round of the Emirates FA Cup.

The match highlights are on WoodsTV.