NORTHWOOD FC   Saturday 8th September 2018  



Emirates FA Cup First Qualifying Round

  Northwood 0  Kings Langley 0   


Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Luke Sheldrick     1 Steve Bourke
2 Karl Stevenson     2 Gary Connolly © 
3 Matt Cooper     3 Callum Adebiyi (84m)
4 Chris Gosling     4 Jorell Jackson
5 Ben Andreos     5 Max Ryan
6 Carl Pearce ©      6 Dean Hitchcock
7 Sam Jenkins (62m)     7 Lee Stobbs (75m)
8 Luke Alfano (75m)     8 Davide Pobbe
9 Ned Clarke (88m)     9 Rene Howe
10 James Ewington     10 Mitchell Weiss
11 Miguel Matos
    11 Josh Coldicott-Stevens
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Wilson Chingoka (75m)      12 Harry Tucker
14 Tom Massey     14 Steve Ward (75m) 
15 Ben Pattie (88m)      15 Arjun Jung (84m) 
16 Hakim Nyariki     16 Edu Toiny-Pendred
17 Rhys Shirley-Clarke     17 Louie Collier
18 Cameron Ferguson     18 Evans Lamboh
19 Kyran Worrell (62m)      19 -


  Referee: George Warren Assts: Peter Georgiou & Damian Mirzadeh      
  REPORT by Robin Piper   PHOTOS by James Brown    

Northwood had to settle for a share of the spoils as they held their own against Southern League Premier Kings Langley in an entertaining contest in front of a bumper FA Cup First Qualifying Round crowd at Chestnut Avenue.

Manager Dean Barker was forced to make a number of changes due to injury and unavailability. Skipper Carl Pearce made a welcome return to form a new central defensive partnership with Ben Andreos, replacing Tom Massey and Kings Langley loanee Sam Tring. Sam Jenkins was drafted in on the right flank for his first competitive start in place of the unavailable Jorome Slew while Miguel Lopes De Matos took up the position on the left side in place of the unwell Kier Dickson. There was also a change in attack, with Ned Clarke making his first start of the season in place of Wilson Chingoka, Ben Pattie settling for a place on the bench as he continues to nurse a possible hernia problem.

After a cagey start from both sides, Woods were the first to threaten as James Ewington latched onto a Lopes De Matos knockdown, but the striker was unable to get over the ball as his effort cleared the crossbar.

However, the visitors were soon into their stride as they enjoyed a period of sustained pressure and Northwood goalkeeper Luke Sheldrick was called upon to deal with a couple of efforts from Mitchell Weiss. Firstly, Sheldrick gathered the ball on the line after initially intercepting  Weiss’ header before the Woods’ keeper saved bravely at the feet as he gathered the ball at the second attempt.

Kings continued to exert pressure on the Woods’ defence and Andreos, who was enjoying a physical tussle with experienced attacker Rene Howe, cleared the ball only as far as the latter, whose half-volley whistled past the far post. And Sheldrick had to be on his toes as he dealt with an attempted lob from Davide Pobbe.

However, the Northwood rearguard stood firm and Woods began to find their range, with the impressive duo of Luke Alfano and Chris Gosling, playing against his former club, showing well in midfield. Sam Jenkins and Clarke tried their luck from distance before the former picked out Ewington with a lofted pass, but his shot on the turn was deflected behind for a corner.

The contest was brewing nicely, with Andreos picking up a caution for his full-blooded efforts while chances continued to be created at both ends.  Weiss and Callum Adebiyi went close for the visitors while Gosling played in Ewington with a delightful through-ball, but his shot rebounded off the legs of Kings’ goalkeeper Steve Bourke.

And Northwood survived a scare on the stroke of half-time as Adebiyi  headed against the crossbar as he got on the end of a Lee Stobbs free-kick.

Northwood were quick to gain the initiative after the restart and a swift counter-attack ended with Clarke shooting over before an intended far post cross from Jenkins almost deceived a back-pedalling Bourke who managed to deflect the ball onto the crossbar.

Kyran Worrell was introduced for a tiring Jenkins on 62 minutes and the youngster was quickly into the action with a couple of forays down the right wing as Woods continued to look for that elusive goal. And Northwood went close to taking the lead when Jorell Johnson almost diverted a low cross from Lopes De Matos into his own net, the ball deflecting off the upright.

Northwood continued to press, with Pearce directing his header from a Matt Cooper free-kick wide of the target, while Andreos was unable to keep the ball down as he shot on the turn following a knockdown from a corner.

Wilson Chingoka offered fresh legs as a 75th minute replacement for Alfano, but Northwood had some defending to do as Weiss threatened with a shot saved by Sheldrick before Gosling threw his body in front of a close range effort from the same player.

Northwood played their last card as they went in search of the winner, with Pattie replacing Clarke with a couple of minutes of normal time left on the clock. However, Woods had to endure a nervous end to the game of as the visitors looked to book their place in the next round. Karl Stevenson was on hand to intercept a cross destined for the head of Howe before Max Ryan blazed a free-header wide of the target following substitute Arjun Jung’s stoppage time free-kick.

And with almost the last kick of an absorbing cup tie, Johnson was denied by a last ditch tackle from Lopes De Matos with the goal at his mercy to ensure that honours remained even.