Tuesday 11th September 2018   NORTHWOOD FC

Emirates FA Cup First Qualifying Round Replay

  Kings Langley 3  Northwood 1    

Weiss 5, 26, Ryan 22

Matos 50

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Martin Bennett     1 Luke Sheldrick
2 Gary Connolly ©      2 Karl Stevenson (29m)
3 Callum Adebiyi     3 Matt Cooper
4 Jorell Jackson     4 Chris Gosling
5 Max Ryan     5 Ben Andreos
6 Elliott Godfrey     6 Carl Pearce © 
7 Lee Stobbs (84m)     7 Sam Jenkins
8 Dean Hitchcock (87m)     8 Luke Alfano (69m)
9 Rene Howe (82m)     9 Ned Clarke (58m)
10 Mitchell Weiss     10 James Ewington
11 Josh Coldicott-Stevens     11 Miguel Matos
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Davide Pobbe     12 Wilson Chingoka 
14 Steve Ward (84m)      14 Tom Massey
15 Arjun Jung (87m)      15 Ben Pattie (58m) 
16 Edu Toiny-Pendred (82m)      16 Hakim Nyariki
17 Louie Collier     17 Rhys Shirley-Clarke (69m)
18 Evans Lamboh     18 Cameron Ferguson (29m)
19 Ryan Plowright     19 Kyran Worrell


  Referee: A Rayment  Assistants: J Perry & M Ball       
  REPORT by Robin Piper    

Northwood exited the F.A. Cup in disappointing fashion as they conceded three first-half goals at a rainswept Gaywood Park. Dean Barker rewarded those players who had fought so valiantly on Saturday by naming an unchanged starting line-up for this eagerly anticipated replay, the prize of a plum home draw in the next round the prize for the victors.

Woods started brightly enough but the mood was dampened as early as the fifth minute following the awarding of a hotly disputed free-kick, Mitchell Weiss latching, unopposed, onto Dean Hitchcock’s whipped delivery to dispatch a flicked header and give Kings Langley the lead.

Northwood went close to posting an immediate response as a swift counter-attack led to Miguel Lopes de Matos firing in a dipping shot which Kings’ goalkeeper Martin Bennett clawed away to safety.

Woods were seeing a fair share of the ball but were struggling to service the willing runs of striker James Ewington as a succession of attempted through-balls were intercepted by the well drilled Kings Langley rearguard,  the visitors restricted to long range efforts with Sam Jenkins firing narrowly over from distance.

Having narrowly survived an earlier corner, Northwood’s weakness in defending the set-piece was again evident as Hitchcock’s corner caused panic in the Woods’ six-yard box before Max Ryan bundled the ball over the line to increase the host’s lead on 22 minutes.

Northwood’s  evening was increasingly mirroring the miserable weather with wind and rain sweeping across Gaywood Park. And the mood was further darkened as Lee Stobbs was allowed time and space to send over a pinpoint cross which was skilfully headed home by Weiss for his second of the evening to make it 3-0 with 26 minutes on the clock.

Karl Stevenson left the field just before the half-hour mark and was replaced by midfielder Cameron Ferguson for his first competitive appearance in the red shirt with Sam Jenkins slotting into the vacated right-back berth. And Northwood managed to negotiate their way to the half-time break without any further mishap while having  a couple of speculative efforts of their own through Ben Andreos and Ferguson, keeper Bennett coping comfortably with their long range attempts.

Having no doubt received a stern talking to during the break, Woods began the second period with renewed vigour and a swift move which saw Ferguson loop a shot wide at the far post after good work from Lopes de Matos was a perhaps a sign  of better things to come from Northwood.

And Northwood were given renewed hope as they pulled a goal back five minutes after the restart with a neat move down the left flank, Ned Clarke feeding Lopes De Matos whose near post shot squirmed under the body of Bennett.

Woods were buoyed by the goal and they were making growing inroads down the left hand side with Matt Cooper enjoying an increasingly effective game at left-back and combining well with Lopes de Matos.

Clarke made way for fellow striker Ben Pattie on 59 minutes as Northwood continued to look for a way back into the tie and they went close to further reducing the arrears as the impressive Lopes de Matos slid the ball through to Ewington for his first clear chance of the evening, his shot being diverted  on to the stanchion by covering defender Jorell Johnson.

However, Woods were reminded of the threat offered by Kings’ experienced strike force as Rene Howe barrelled his way into the Northwood box and saw his shot deflect for a corner.

Rhys Shirley-Clarke was introduced for Luke Alfonso on 69 minutes for his first competitive appearance, taking up a position on the right flank with Ferguson moving into central midfield, and Northwood maintained their improved performance with Cooper shooting across the face of goal after good work from Chris Gosling before Lopes de Matos went close with a curling shot.

The hosts were content to soak up the Northwood pressure and protect their lead while launching the occasional counter-attack, one such break leading to substitute Edu Toiny-Pendred having a shot gathered by goalkeeper Luke Sheldrick.

Northwood were deserving of another goal for their second-half showing but time was running out.  And as the game moved into stoppage time there was a half chance for Pattie that was blocked by the Kings’ defence before Ewington had the ball taken off his toes as he shaped to shoot following good work from Shirley-Clarke.

But it wasn’t to be for Northwood, as the damage inflicted in a poor opening half-hour had  left a mountain too high to climb and it was Kings Langley who deservedly progressed to the next round where they will play host to Lewes. And Woods’ disappointment was further compounded by the sight of Pattie being stretchered off at the end with a foot injury suffered as he attempted a shot with the last kick of the game, a visit to the hospital later confirming that the striker had suffered a hairline fracture. It was just one of those nights for Northwood!