NORTHWOOD FC   Saturday 17th November 2018   HERTFORD TOWN FC

Bostik League South Central

  Northwood 1  Hertford Town 1   

Ofosu 14

Soates-Junior 78

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Luke Sheldrick     1 Charlie Mann
2 Sam Jenkins     2 Joe Clemo
3 Matt Cooper     3 McCauley Joynes
4 Kieran Asumadu-Sakyi     4 Jordan Lawal
5 Sam Tring     5 Louis Bowen
6 Carl Pearce ©      6 Ollie Sharman
7 Leigh Stevens     7 Ruben Soares-Junior
8 Dan Pett     8 Charlie Edwards
9 Ben Pattie (75m)     9 Ben Ward-Cochrane
10 Andrew Ofosu (62m)     10 Elliott Bailey
11 Kweku Conrad-Lucan     11 George Lutaaya
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Chris Gosling     12 Ben Crilly
14 Miguel Matos     14 Brian Simpson
15 Ethan Holland (62m)     15 Ahmed Mohammed
16 Kyran Worrell (75m)     16 Alex Washbourne
17 Jamie Fulton     17 Mark Twumasi


  Referee: Hugh Gilroy
Assistants: Jack Scott & Jon Panconi
  REPORT by Alon Farrow  PHOTOS by James Brown  



In an evenly contested game, a stoppage-time penalty save by Hertford’s goalkeeper Charlie Mann saw this Bostik League game ending in a tie. A debut goal from Andrew Ofosu was cancelled out by a 77th minute header from Hertford’s winger Ruben Soares-Junior.

Interim manager Scott Dash made a handful of changes since the Woods’ last outing, with Leigh Stevens, Ethan Holland and the aforementioned Ofosu making their debuts on a cold afternoon at the Acretweed Stadium.

In the first half the home side was the brighter team, and with 14 minutes on the clock, they opened the scoring. A fizzing strike from Kweku Conrad-Lucan was spilt by Hertford’s number one, with quick reactions from Ofosu leading to an easy tap-in.

Ofosu, all though happy with his first goal, will be kicking himself for not grabbing the opportunity to score his second. Five minutes after the opener, a rapid counter spearheaded by Ben Pattie’s flicked through ball sliced open Hertford Town’s defence. Ofosu, who was on the receiving end, did not have the composure to finish off his one-on-one chance.

Hertford, looking for a quick equaliser, had two big headed chances. The best of which was cleared off the line by Dan Pett.

Already a fan favourite, Ofosu used his blistering pace to set up another counter attack, his cut-back ball to Pattie was blocked by Hertford’s defender.

With limited chances in the first 45 minutes, Hertford Town looked a different team in the second half, dictating the play.

But that did not stop Conrad-Lucan, who seemed to be enjoying his stint down the right-hand flank. Two chances within two minutes, the best starting from a pinpoint reverse pass by Pattie, was not capitalised on.

Northwood kept soaking up the pressure and in the 75th minute, they thought they had the crucial second goal of the game. Kyran Worrell, who had just been substituted on, saw his speculative shot parried into the path of Stevens who tapped the ball in from two yards. But the goal was disallowed as he was adjudged offside.

Two minutes after Hertford thought they were two-nil down, they managed to grab a deserved equaliser. Soares-Junior found himself unmarked in the box, and with a perfect corner delivery followed by a towering header, the visiting side was level.

The last five minutes of the game proved to be the most dramatic, with both sides having glorious opportunities to grab the three points. The first coming in the 87th minute, when Hertford Town goalscorer Soares-Junior rattled the post from a bullet header.

But the best chance was yet to come. In the dying seconds of the game, a big mistake from the visitors’ centre-back saw Worrell bearing down on goal, with only Hertford’s goalkeeper in the way.

As Worrell tried to round the keeper, he had his feet taken out from underneath him and a penalty was awarded. Up stepped Conrad-Lucan, looking to win the game with the last kick, but his penalty was heroically saved by the legs of Hertford’s goalkeeper Mann.