Saturday 9th March 2019


Bostik League, South Central

  Hertford Town 3  Northwood 4  

Campbell 55, 90,
Dada 86

Lucan 5, Witham 13,
Sabti 68, Pearce 90+4

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Charlie Mann     1 Luke Sheldrick
2 Ramone Cassidy-Sinclair     2 Sam Jenkins
3 Aundre Wholas-Spencer (74m)     3 Miguel Matos
4 Jack Stevens     4 Yahya El-Khabouche
18 David Kaldanga     5 Dan Newton
6 Johnny Butler     6 Carl Pearce ¬© 
7 Brett O'Connor     7 Dan Pett (72m)
8 Wilson Chingoka (63m)     8 Chris Gosling
9 Ivan Malmardo     9 Kweku Lucan (61m)
10 Taisman Griffith     10 Alex Witham
11 Daniel Bond (46m)     11 Tremayne Charles
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Dara Dada (63m)     12 Kyran Worrell
14 Jamie Calvin (74m)     14 Jabir Laraba (72m)
15 Marcus Campbell (46m)     15 Kieran Asumadu-Sakyi
16 Brad Empson     16 Kerran Lataille
17 -     17 Zaied Sabti (61m)



Referee: Farai Hallam; Assts: Tom Ratheram & Stuart Wade



  REPORT by Robin Piper    PHOTOS by James Brown  



Free-scoring Northwood made it one league defeat in six with a dramatic stoppage-time win in a seven goal thriller at Hertingfordbury Park. There was one change to the Woods line-up from the previous Saturday’s win over Bedfont Sports, with Yahya El-Khabouche replacing Kieran Asumadu-Sayki in midfield.

Northwood made the perfect start as they got their noses in front as early as the fifth minute when Alex Witham’s quickly taken throw-in found Kweku Lucan, who escaped the clutches of the covering defenders to poke the ball home from a tight angle.

The strong cross-wind was making it tricky for both sides to get the ball down and play and the conditions played a part in Woods extending their lead on 13 minutes as Dan Newton’s long clearance out of defence was misjudged by the home backline, enabling Witham to break clear before sending a sublime 20-yard half-volley beyond the reach of keeper Charlie Mann for his sixth goal in as many games.

To their credit, Hertford regrouped and began to ask questions of Northwood as they created a succession of chances with former Wood Wilson Chingoka, Jack Stevens, Ivan Malhado and Brett O’Connor all having efforts blocked by a combination of keeper Luke Sheldrick and his defenders.

Following the early drama, the contest became a rather subdued affair up to the half-time break, with both sides offering very little in attack except for a slick Northwood move involving Sam Jenkins and Dan Pett which ended with Chris Gosling sending a rasping volley wide of the upright.

Northwood were quickly into their stride following the half-time break as they looked to put the game beyond the hosts, Miguel Matos releasing Tremayne Charles but he snatched at his shot to send it wide of the target. And any hopes Woods might have had of putting the game to bed were dashed as the Blues pulled a goal back through substitute Marcus Campbell with an emphatic finish on 55 minutes.

Northwood made a change on the hour-mark as Lucan made way for Zaied Sabti. And Woods had a great chance to restore their two-goal advantage when Charles latched onto Pett’s through-ball and rounded Mann but found the angle too acute as his shot ruffled the side-netting. However, Woods were not to be denied as their third goal duly arrived on 68 minutes, Matos finding Witham whose pin-point cross was despatched by Sabti to maintain his recent goal-scoring form with a fourth league strike of the season.

Jabir Laraba was introduced for Pett as Northwood looked to negotiate the final fifteen minutes but they were given a warning of things to come as Campbell’s effort deflected off Jenkins and onto the crossbar before Sheldrick clawed the ball away to safety.

Hertford were growing in confidence and looking increasingly threatening as Malhado fired over the bar before Taishan Griffiths’ long range shot was gathered by Sheldrick. And the hosts were rewarded for their efforts as they reduced the arrears on 86 minutes, Sheldrick’s attempted clearance falling to the feet of substitute Dara Dada who returned the ball from distance and into the unguarded net.

The Blues had renewed belief and they forced a series of corners as they went in search of an equaliser which duly arrived in the 90th minute as Campbell converted Jamie Calvin’s low cross to send the home supporters into raptures.

However, Hertford¬† were dealt a cruel blow as the contest moved into the fourth minute of added time after Northwood forced a third successive corner, skipper Carl Pearce flicking home Sabti’s delivery via the post to break Blue hearts and seal what had looked like an unlikely win.