NORTHWOOD FC   Tuesday 5th February 2019   HAYES & YEADING U

Bostik League South Central

  Northwood 1  Hayes & Y.U. 2   

Sabti 71

Barney 12, Donnelly 44

Team line-up  
  Team line-up
1 Luke Sheldrick     1 Charlie Burns
2 Dan Newton     2 Ashley Smith
3 Miguel Matos     3 Toby Little
4 Kieran Asumadu-Sakyi (64m)     4 George Spiers
5 Imran Uche     5 Liam McDevitt
6 Carl Pearce ©      6 Ed Asafu-Adjaye
7 Zaied Sabti (78m)     7 Scott Donnelly
8 Chris Gosling     8 Scott Bridges
9 Andrew Ofosu     9 Lee Barney
10 Kweku Lucan (81m)     10 Callum McAllister
11 Tremayne Charles     11 Ash Nzala (81m)
Substitutes     Substitutes
12 Jon Munday     12 Dan Edwards
14 Kyran Worrell (81m)     14 Jack Smith
15 Jabir Laraba     15 Rylan Myers (81m)
16 Leigh Stevens (64m)     16 Jeevan Panesar
17 Dan Pett (78m)     17 Eze Williams


  Referee: Steven Rea; Assistants: Fernando Costache & Andy Batten      
  REPORT by Alon Farrow   
PHOTOS: HYUFC/Montimagemedia



Hosting a free-scoring Hayes & Yeading, a wonder goal from Zaied Sabti almost saw Northwood fight back from a two-nil deficit to earn a draw.

But two first half goals from Lee Barney and Scott Donnelly were enough for table-topping Hayes.
Manager Scott Dash made a few alterations to the starting eleven, with Jon Munday, Jabir Laraba and Dan Pett all dropping to the bench, being replaced by Carl Pearce, Andrew Ofosu and Sabti.

Hayes started off the brighter side at a damp Acretweed Stadium, and eleven minutes into the game their sharp start paid off.

A defensive mistake by Dan Newton saw Ash Nzala steal the ball to play a pass across the box into the path of Lee Barney, who had just enough time to take a touch and finish into the bottom right corner.

Not deterred, Northwood had a handful of chances to bring it back level, the best of which coming from a great-defence splitting ball from Kweku Lucan putting Trey Charles in behind the visitors’ defence, but his shot went straight down the keeper’s throat.

Although a few chances had come and gone for the Woods, Hayes & Yeading were still the dominant side. And at one point they were playing Tiki-taka-esque football, with their audacious one-touch passing move finishing with Toby Little’s shot being blocked out for a corner.

The subsequent corner was fumbled by Luke Sheldrick, but right-back Dan Newton was there to save his blushes as he heroically headed the whipped shot off the line.

But only a couple minutes later Hayes got their second of the match, a 20-yard looping volley beat the helpless Sheldrick, gifting the visitors a two-goal advantage at half-time.

Both teams had opportunities at the start of the second half. Little’s cross almost beat Sheldrick at the far post, and at the other end of the pitch, Lucan’s shot lacked composure after a strong driving run.

With just over 25 minutes to go, Hayes should have got their third, failing to nestle the ball in the back of the net after four shots in under one minute. The best chance fell to Nzala, who mistimed his shot from six yards out.

A few minutes later and against the run of play, Zaied Sabti scored what could easily be goal of the season, the shot from 30 yards completely surprising the away side’s helpless goalkeeper.

Zaied’s goal would only be a consolation, as Hayes’ showed why they are running away with the league by seeing out the last 15 minutes comfortably.